We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reflections & access

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
reflections & access

All other things (such as wind speed, percipitation, etc) being equal, when photographing Fox Glacier, Mt. Cook, etc is the reflection best when the sun is rising behind them instead of setting in front of them -- or does it matter? Are the Lake Matheson Walkways open all the time or do they have specific times for access? Thank you.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reflections & access

I like late afternoon photography when everything is bathed in soft golden hues. However I haven't photographed the glaciers so can't say if that is optimum time there.

Generally Lake Matheson is best early morning before ripples appear on the lake to distort the reflections, or late in the day after any breeze dies down.

Our National Parks have neither entry fees nor gates, you can walk whenever you wish …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reflections & access

Because you are west of Mount Cook when at Lake Matheson, the sun is behind the range in the very early morning. You don't need to get there at the crack of dawn for your shots, because the mountains will only be in silhouette. After about an hour and a half, the sun will better bathe the mountains for photography. You don't want to wait until too late though, as the breeze will pick up and obliterate the mirror reflections the lake is known for.

Generally I feel the first rays of sun give the best shots. Although this isn't Mount Cook but rather, Mount Sefton, here's an unretouched shot just as the sun was just coming up taken from our motel room at Mt Cook Village:

fmsphotos.com/Travel/…i-mTjDxrh

We walked the Hooker Valley Track early morning and the early rays were not as dramatic on Mount Cook. We never went back in late afternoon, so don't know if that would have been better.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reflections & access

Thanks for sharing those. Awesome (old meaning) pictures and a great eye. Interesting to see different kinds of reflections and plays of light.

4. Re: reflections & access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:15