We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with South Island Travel plan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help please with South Island Travel plan

Reposted

Coming in late September 19th early early morning into Christchurch with wife and teenage boy 1 night in hotel then airport pick up of a camper van for 6 days to go north Blenheim ,Nelson, Marlborough and may spend 1 or 2 days in Christchurch. Picking up rental car Thurs 25th am to go South. Have already booked and paid for Queenstown hotel for the Saturday 27thand Sunday 28th night can extend this if needed. Flying out from Christchurch Thursday 2nd Oct afternoon.Questions are do i go to Dunedin then Queenstown and go back another way or straight to Queenstown then Dunedin on the way back or something different altogether

Would appreciate feedback options itineraries etc .

I would assume its not practical with the time to see Milford Sound.

Wife like scenery eating out ,son likes 1/2 or 1 day skiing a bit of adventure and i.m easily pleased

Thanks in anticipation

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with South Island Travel plan

I would go westcoast ....across Arthurs Pass to Hokitika, down to Wanaka and then onto Queenstown.

Gorges, ski fields, views and MAJESTIC scenery as well as fantastic...FANTASTIC food.

When in Queenstown I always recommend the Bus / Cruise/ Fly package (you can pick them up for just under 3 hundred per person. WELL worth the money. Park your car up for the day at your hotel. It also ticks every box and only one day needed. Milford sound is a must do.

Take the shuttle up to the remarkables for the day skiing and doing other stuff. Highly recommend the star gazing tour and dinner package up at skyline (for the Maori night) ....the jet boat ride is cool as well as the gold mine day.

Dunedin is a pretty coastal city and I liked it, wasnt the cup of tea for my kids but I found it relaxing and enjoyable and at the moment poor Christchurch has nothing much happening for it as it looks like a big building project (scaffolding everywhere) so you will not need to spend much time in either.

Tip....keep an eye on the gorges being opened or if anything (slips) has happened...it could mean the difference between being stuck and enjoying yourself in a warm hotel. Keep snow chains in the car, if you are going to go to the ski fields yourself then you need to have them on the car, get the rental guys to show you how to put them on. We went back one time in winter and never needed to use them but it is comforting knowing they are there. just be very focused when driving.

hope this helps :-)

Edited: 09 June 2014, 08:27
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with South Island Travel plan

I thought I had replied to you but your original message seems to have disappeared & been replaced by this one, which makes more sense!

Is Dunedin important to you? There are 3 routes generally taken between Chch & QTN, ranked in popularity: West Coast; Mt Cook & SH1/Dunedin.

With only 7.5 days you will be pushing it to get to Milford Sound

25th. Drive Chch to Mt Cook via Lake Tekapo

26th. Explore

27th. Drive to Queenstown 2 N

28th. You could try for a full day Milford coach tour or a coach/cruise/fly if the weather is good

29th. AM explore QTN; PM Drive to Wanaka

30th Drive to Franz Josef Glacier

1st. AM explore, PM drive to Hokitika or Arthurs Pass to be closer to CHC;

2nd. AM drive to CHC; PM fly home.

If Dunedin is important, a slightly more leaisurely trip would be:

25. Drive to Dunedin (2N)

26. Explore

27. Drive to Queenstown (3N)

28 & 29. Explore ski and/or go Milford Sound

30. Drive to Mt Cook

1st. Drive to Chch

2nd. Fly out.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 08:32
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with South Island Travel plan

Thanks for the reply,

Perhaps i should give Dunedin a miss as per your advice.

regarding the Bus / Cruise/ Fly package do i wait till in Queenstown to book e as I have checked and they seem to be about $500 per person

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please with South Island Travel plan

Go to www.bookme.co.nz/bookings/queenstown/home there are some great deals on there. Ive seen those bus cruise and fly deals on there for cheap. Not to mention other great deals for New zealand.

5. Re: Help please with South Island Travel plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:17