We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to leave out in south island?

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to leave out in south island?

My husband & I (early 60's from Western Australia) are travelling to Christchurch in October, hiring a motorhome for 17 nights. We do not want to rush the holiday (enjoyment of the scenery important), so we are wondering which part to leave out: the northern part of the island (Blenheim/Nelson) or Dunedin/Caitlins area? What are your thoughts please?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to leave out in south island?

Welcome to TA. Without knowing your interests it is impossible to suggest an answer. The Catlins would be my choice for its wildlife & wild beaches, however if you are into wine, beaches, kayaking, hiking, then Marlborough Nelson would be great. There is no wrong answer and you'll just have to come back for another go...!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to leave out in south island?

yep, no wrong answer.

Nelson and Abel Tasman has some of the best weather in the country - the Catlins is likely to have some raw days with the possibility of some cold blowing up from Antarctica.

I love the wild beaches of the Catlins. Abel Tasman's beaches are stunning - and warm!

I am sure you won't be disappointed with either choice.

Why not write out an itinerary for each option and have us comment on which we think best?

Happy planning :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to leave out in south island?

I think from ChCh I would head north and visit Blenheim/Nelson area. You might like to do a detour to Hanmer on the way if you like relaxing in the thermal pools. Halfway to Blenheim is Kaikoura, which is on a beautiful stretch of coastline. After spending a few days in the Nelson area. head over to the West Coast. You could visit the Denniston mine near Westport, the pancake rocks at Punakiki(not sure of spelling!) and head down to Greymouth. A day trip from Greymouth are the Franz Joseph and Fox Glaciers. You could then drive over the Arthurs Pass back to ChCh. Given that you have 17 days you would have plenty of time to do this trip.

4. Re: What to leave out in south island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17