We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan Rentals

Western Ireland...
1 post
Save Topic
Campervan Rentals

Hi There,

I am planning a trip to New Zealand landing in Christchurch on 6th December and flying home from Auckland on the 12th January.

We plan to spend until the 22nd December in the south island and then fly to the north island to spend Christmas and New Year with family.

We are looking at the possibility of doing the south island via campervan. I am having great difficulty deciding on what company to go for. Has anyone had any recent experiences with companies they care to share. We just want a basic campervan with a double bed, kitchen facilities etc. We are on a somewhat budget however we want to go with a valued company that can provide all the necessities. I have looked at companies such as jucy, britz and escape.

I am open to suggestions on other companies to use.

I look forward to hearing some responses!

:)

California
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan Rentals

Maui is often recommended here.

We used United and there were lots of little things that went wrong, enough so that I would look elsewhere. I've heard good things about Wilderness, and I would look into them.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan Rentals

Welcome to the forum :)

My suggestion - get a campervan with toilet and shower - a basic van with mattress in the back and a gas cooker where you stand out in the cold, rain and sandflies is no fun.

If you get a basic van you are restricted to staying in a campground each evening for showers and loo. This can cost $40 or more per night if wanting power. You are not able to simply pull off the road at lakes and picnic spots as you please. There is a $200 fine for illegal camping. http://www.camping.org.nz/

If you have a compliant campervan you can stay more comfortably at DOC sites which are often in stunning locations - some are free but the majority charge just $6pp per night

I have used Maui - highly recommended. And I too have heard good things about Wilderness. Check reviews on Rankers https:/…1478-Wilderness_Motorhomes

And no, campervans and budget do not mix. A campervan in Jan is about the most expensive way to travel NZ. If looking for affordable options consider a car and motels - you will save money and it is easier driving, better kitchens and proper showers etc.

3. Re: Campervan Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:15