We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

My family of 6 (including parents in their 70s) is planning a self driving trip in the South Island in Nov 2014. I have been browsing the site and have come up with an itinerary which i would appreciate your feedback:

Day 1: Arrive in Christchurch mid morning. Collect rental car, explore.

Day 2: CC > Arthur PAss > Hotikita

Day 3: Hotikita > Franz Josef

Day 4: Explore

Day 5: Franz> Wanaka

Day 6: Explore Wanaka

Day 7: Wanaka > Te Anau

Day 8: Milford Sound cruise

Day 9: Te Anau to Queenstown

Day 10: Queenstown

Day 11: Queenstown > Dunedin

Day 12: Dunedin -Wild life tour?

Day 13: Dunedin > CC

Day 14: CC - fly home

I'm hoping to include one winery visit and LOTR site but not sure where they can fit in. Any advise? Thank you.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
612 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

I do hope you get a reply as we ( 2 couples hiring 6 berth Maui motor home each, no experience in driving one either ) are planning on doing something similar to yourselves but first we are going to Kaikoura and to the wineries and then down the west coast and including Invercargill as well and we have 13 full days.

California
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

There's a winery in Wanaka, Rippon, that has a beautiful setting. Then your other winery opportunity would be the Gibbston Valley (a can recommend Chard Farm and Perigrine). These wineries are about a 20 minute drive east of Queenstown.

For LOTR, many shoot locations were around Glenorchy and Paradise. You can have a horseback tour, perhaps the Ride of the Rings at http://www.dartstables.com/riding-options, or a 4x4 tour, nomadsafaris.co.nz/tours/…

Your itinerary is very nicely paced. But in light of the fact that both of the things that are important to you are located in and around Queenstown, you are going to have to schedule very wisely. Perhaps take in a winery or two on Day 7. You'll be going through that area (Gibbston Valley) anyway and you can do the LOTR tour on Day 10.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

Thank you so much for the winery suggestions. I am not sure why I missed out the Otago region but was thinking of wineries nearer north. I have shortlisted a few wineries and lunches (to book). :)

There may be a change of plans though. We are considering skipping Dunedin and driving towards Mount Cook for a more scenic drive and taking the Hooker Valley track for a more leisurely walk at our own pace. That means forgoing the Wildlife Tour of the Otago Peninsular at Dunedin. I read that some parts of the tour include walking uphill and downhill (towards the beach) which I am not sure if my parents are up to it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,191 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

If your parents are of above average fitness and can regularly walk up short but steep hills on rough ground then they shouldn't have any problems. On the tour that I took (Elm Wildlife) it was some of the less fit middle-aged who decided not to do the second walk down to the Seal colony!

It is certainly shorter & easier than the HOoker Valley walk.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

Thank you for your feedback. Your comment on the "less fit middle aged" was exactly the feedback I received from a friend who went with the Elm tours. They were huffing and puffing! We should have enough time till Nov to up our fitness to be ready for NZ!

I have finalized the flight and found that we have more days :) Hopefully we can enjoy the best of both (Dunedin & Mount Cook). Will update more later.

Thank you for this forum!

6. Re: 12 full Days in South Island with teens and parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16