We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update to itinerary... we think!

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Update to itinerary... we think!

WLnz and company,

Our official dates are:

Landing August 28th in the morning

Departing September 8th in the morning

We need some help breaking down our itinerary a little more so we can book a couple big things. Here's our ideal list of things we'd like to do based on everyone's advice and reading through old posts.

- At least 4-5 days of skiing with one day being a heli-day

- Te Anau (gloworm caves, milford sound - possibly with a day cruise)

- Fox Glacier (1-day ice climbing with Fox glacier guides)

- Mt Cook (hike?)

Others if we had time: Arthur's Pass and the coast between Westport and Greymouth (Motukiekie Beach) looks amazing.

We were planning on exploring Queenstown and doing most of our snowboarding/skiing from the 28th - 2nd then hitting the road for Te Anau, Wanaka, and Mt Cook from the 3rd to the 7th before driving back late. It looks like some of the ski resorts are far enough outside of Queenstown that this might not be the best way to do it?

Ideally we'd be able to leave our snowboards and skis in a locker in Queenstown so we don't have to cart them around for the 3-7th part of the trip-- which unfortunately means we won't have them to ski Mt Cook.

Can anyone recommend the best way to break up this trip? Just by looking at the map, my instinct would be to do day trips to the ski resorts with our hotel in Queenstown then hit the road on the morning of the 3rd for Te Anau where we'd get a hotel and see Milford Sound and the gloworm caves before driving up to Fox Glacier for our 1-day of ice climbing, Then see the Mt Cook area before heading back south?

Please shoot this thing down if you have other recommendations, I'm just working on booking the accommodations, heli-boarding and ice climbing days as far in advance as possible but not completely opposed to "winging it"

Thanks again!! Less than a month!

Kyle

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

one problem you have is that you dont drive up to Fox Glacier then pop over to MtCook, there are no roads, the only way over is to fly.

You have a good plan but am unsure what airport you are arriving and departing from as thios will have a bearing on how best to approach your itinerary.

your southern Lakes plan looks good Stay teAnau then daytrip to milford Sound and evening trip to Glow worm cave, but be careful that you dont hang around too much after you get off your cruise as there isnt a lot of time before the boat to the glow worm cave departs. you can drive up the west coast to fox from Queenstown then up to Punakaiki then over Arthur's pass to Christchurch. To fit in MtCook is a lot more difficult as it is separated by the southern alps.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

Coaster, thanks for the post-- so maybe skip Mt Cook?

We're flying into and out of Queenstown.

Thanks again

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

I'm not sure if you realise the distances involved in your plans?

it takes 10 days to drive a circuit of up the west Coast, over to Christchurch and down back to Queenstown via Aoraki/Mt Cook (which sits right in the centre of the island and can't be accessed from the West Caost). Also Aoraki isn't a ski resort - Wanaka and Queenstown are.

to fit everything in;

28 arrive Queenstown

29 ski

30 drive to te Anau, glow worm caves

31 bus tour Milford Sound, stay te Anau

1 drive to Wanaka

2 ski... heli-ski?

3 drive to Fox

4 ice climb

5 drive to Chch - long drive - allow 6 hours plus stops

6 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

7 drive to Queenstown

8 fly out

driving distances here http://maps.aa.co.nz/#directions

hope this helps :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,503 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

Even assuming you ditch Mt Cook, you still have to back track 6-7 hours from FJG to QTN. Why do you ave to fly in AND out of ZQN? It severely limits your options. You don't have enough days for all you wantto do:

28th Arr ZQN; explre; relax (4N):

29-31 ski QTN fields

1. Drive to Te Anau; glow- worm caves;

2. Milford Soundday trip;

3. Drive to Wanaka

4. Ski Cardrona or Treble Cone

5. Drive to Fox;

6. Ice- climbing

7. Drive back to QTN - at least 6-7 hr ( bear in mind that Haast Pass clses around 4 pm every night for essential roadworks).

8. Fly out.

You could gain an extradays skiing if you dropped Te Anau & subtituted a full day coach tour from QTN to MS.

8. Fly out

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

I definitely didn't realize the distances in my plans! I was just using the New Zealand tourism website's distance and drive time calculator and it looked do-able but it won't let me route it as a continuous trip so I was winging it a little.

As for Mt. Cook -- Again it was based off the New Zealand tourism website, "As Aoraki Mt Cook soars high above you, the boutique ski fields of Roundhill, Mt Dobson and Ohau spread out before you." If these aren't very impressive areas to ski we'd rather get our days in between Queenstown and Wanaka-- especially if that allows us to leave our ski gear down in Queenstown so we don't have to cart it around in the van.

Looks like we need a lot more days!!

Thanks for the updated itineraries-- I'm going to pass them along and do some more research now!

6. Re: Update to itinerary... we think!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 06:16