We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with 2week itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
help with 2week itinerary

Hi wondering if anyone can help us put together an itinerary for our NZ south island holiday. We will be arriving in queenstown in the morning Of Friday 14th November and leaving 29 Nov from QT. So far this is all we have: Spend couple nights in QT upon arriving. Check out local sites and do some short walks. The main things we want to see are Mt cook, lake Tekapo, Franz Josef & Fox Glacier ' and Milford sound.

what we need help with is how many days do we need in each location eg we were thinking since Mt cook / Glaciers were kinda in the same region we could spend about 5 days there what route do you recommend which makes sense to get us from QT to the above places & back and will also provide beautiful natural scenery to check out on our way. Thanks in advance

:)

California
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with 2week itinerary

>>>" Mt cook / Glaciers were kinda in the same region"

Yes and no. By air, yes. By road, no. To see both, you may have to consider doing a circuit that would also include Christchurch and Arthur's Pass. Otherwise, the glaciers are going to be an outlier requiring 3 days of your vacation (one day driving Haast Pass to get there, one day to explore, and another day to travel Haast pass again to return). With 15 days, I'd do the circuit.

https://goo.gl/maps/jRzT8

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,828 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with 2week itinerary

15 days is an ideal time to do the 8-10 day circuit from QTN to Chch via Mt Cook & back through Arthurs Pass & the Glaciers, plus about 3 days in Fiordland - Te Anau and either Doubtful or Milford Sound.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Thank you deSchenke. Do you know if those estimated drive times from google maps is accurate or should I be adding an hour or so to each leg?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Thanks for your advice zhuhai2007! Looks like we'll be going up to Christchurch and back then :)

California
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Googlemaps is notorious for underestimating drive times. I only used it because I'm so used to it and to give you an idea of the routing. It's far better to use www.maps.aa.co.nz for drive times.

I've inserted the same routing onto the aa maps. They don't offer a short link, so here's the messy one:

http://maps.aa.co.nz/nz/otago/queenstown+central/queenstown/x=2168034.8300000000;y=5566030.6700000000#directions/Queenstown%2C+Queenstown+Central%2C+Queenstown;2168035;5566031/Mount+Cook%2C+Mount+Cook%2C+Mount+Cook+Village;2276532;5715042/Christchurch%2C+Christchurch+Central%2C+Christchurch;2480757;5741767/Hokitika%2C+Hokitika%2C+Hokitika;2343270;5830086/Fox+Glacier%2C+Fox+Glacier%2C+West+Coast;2276327;5739684/Wanaka%2C+Wanaka%2C+Wanaka;2203721;5605384/Te+Anau%2C+Te+Anau%2C+Te+Anau;2096632;5519290/Milford+Sound%2C+Milford+Sound%2C+Southland;2097797;5612321/Te+Anau%2C+Te+Anau%2C+Te+Anau;2096632;5519290/Queenstown%2C+Queenstown+Central%2C+Queenstown;2168035;5566031

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with 2week itinerary

THank you so much deSchenke! You've been a great help! Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Ok so here is our proposed itinerary based on the above route as suggested by deSchenke. My husband and I are both young and healthy, we don't do a lot of proper trekking and I will be about 3 months pregnant on the trip, so our activities will mostly be limited to walks and sight seeing.

1Night in QT - arrive afternoon from Sydney

2N in Mt Cook area - we leave QT early morning, Lake Tekapo on our way

1N in CHCH - leave MtC early morning

1N in Hokitika - just transiting/breaking up the drive

3N in Franz Josef/Fox Glacier

1N in Wanaka - just transiting/breaking up the drive

2N in Te Anau/Milford Sound

3N in QT and fly home day 15

Would anyone suggest anywhere to spend more/less time? I guess when I say 2N in MtC and 3N at the Glaciers its more like 1.5 days and 2 days respectively. We imagine the drive from Hokitika to the Glaciers and from the Glaciers to Wanaka we will be stopping quite a bit to take in the scenery etc which is why we decided to spend the nights and break up the driving. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Oh and I've just realised we actually have an extra day unused...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,828 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Ok, what happened to your actual day in QTN? It does depend on your interests (kiwis generally don't like QTN as it is too busy with $$$ activities) but it is NZ's #1 tourist resort for a reason. I would put your spare day in to QTN as day 2.

Note that Lake Tekapo is 90 min North of Mt cook so you will pass through between Mt Cook & Chch.

You might want to swap the 3N glaciers/1 N Wanaka for 2 N each.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with 2week itinerary

Zhuhai sorry when I wrote lake tekapo I meant pass through it on our way from mt cook to Christchurch. Also, we decided to get straight into the driving the day after we arrive and leave QTN for our last few days before we leave, hence the 3 nights in QTN at the end. Do you think this is not a good idea? Thanks again