We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinerary question -sorry.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Another itinerary question -sorry.

I will try to be brief

For a 12 night itinerary in Feb. I had planned

Arrive Christchurch airport around noon

2 nights Akaroa

2 nights Mt Cook

5 Nights Queenstown/ Wanaka/ Milford or Doubtful- Possibly a night on boat or maybe a coach fly single day if Milford. I think I can work out the best way to split the days once I read more. Could go to Te Anau but I think we have enough one night stops. Will definitely break the journey between Queenstown and FJ for at least one night.

1 night Franz Josef

I night Punakaiki

1 night Christchurch 4pm flight out

Will be self driving

However I read advice to give Akaroa a miss as it's very busy with cruise ships in summer. What do others think? Also mindful of all that has been said about driver fatigue is Akaroa- Mt Cook too far for one day? (two drivers and no kids) AA says drive will take 5 1/2 hours. If we miss Akaroa any suggestions for the two days please?

I read Greymouth- Christchurch is less attractive than Christchurch to Greymouth. Itinerary could I think be reversed easily if it makes sense to do so.

Thanks for all who have helped so far.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,620 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinerary question -sorry.

Welcome to the NZ Forum. I think 2 N Akaroa is a nice way to start your NZ holiday although I'm not so keen on you driving on day 1, even just 90 min. The cruise ship passengers are only in the town for a short time as most get bussed away to Chch. Perhaps split the nights 1 Chch & 1 Akaroa?

Then if you reverse your trip you'd have Akaroa to Arthurs Pass or Hokitika; then FJG, Wanaka; then 2 N Te Anau, 2N QTN, 2N Mt Cook....

California
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinerary question -sorry.

Have you checked the port schedule to see if there will be a cruise ship there on the day you are?

…cruisett.com/schedule/…

Edited: 18 August 2014, 21:18
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another itinerary question -sorry.

thanks to you both. The cruise ship schedule is useful and Feb doesn't seem too busy. Zhuhai. It won't be our first day in NZ. We will have four or five days around Auckland and will have driven Auckland to Rotorua and around and then fly in to Christchurch from Rotorua on a morning flight. We have plenty of windy roads in Scotland, although I mostly drive in towns and on motorways but I will treat the New Zealand roads with the respect they deserve.

4. Re: Another itinerary question -sorry.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16