We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route options from nelson to lumsden

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
19 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Route options from nelson to lumsden

Hi all, I don't think that there is a right answer but your views would be most welcome..

I have 5 days and four nights in mid November to travel between Nelson and Lumsden.

For the first part:

should I take the coast road via Kaikoura

or

the Molesworth dirt trail (car hire permitting) between Blenheim and Hanmer Springs?

Onto north of Canterbury

Then:

Should I go via Arthur's Pass and West coast and glaciers to Wanaka

Or

Tekapo, Pukaki, Lindis pass to Wanaka.

JF

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route options from nelson to lumsden

A lot depends on if you want to get there quickly or what type of scenery interests you most or what you want to do along the way.

One route you didnt mention is nelson, Murchison, Down the Buller gorge to Westport and punakaiki, greymouth Hokitika Glaciers, Wanaka, Queenstown, Lumsden. then you may also need to think where you are returning to and what route.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route options from nelson to lumsden

I have never heard of anyone taking a rental car across Molesworth Station. I think Coaster's route would be the best over 5 days.

However it all depends on whether you want the most scenic/quickest or what. A quicker route would be Nelson to Chch via Lewis Pass; Chch to Mt Cook or Lake Tekapo to Lumsden. This is the route given by AAmaps.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route options from nelson to lumsden

Suggest you take a good look at this before you embark on Molesworth. Click on the link for the PDF brochure.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Edited: 23 August 2014, 06:42
Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
19 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route options from nelson to lumsden

Thanks all,

I'd already seen the govt. advice and it looks easier/safer than some of the Death Valley back roads I've driven, though it looks like a long day in the saddle as it were.

The rental co has come back with approval for anywhere save beaches and skippers canyon, which surprised me too!

I like to take the road less travelled, and was hoping that somebody would say that it offers something unique. I guess I'll wing it when the time arrives.

Thanks again for your time/input

5. Re: Route options from nelson to lumsden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16