We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many things to do!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Too many things to do!!

Hello to very helpful TA readers/experts.

I am travelling to SI for 13 nights and so far have booked two nights in Christchurch (arrive 26 Dec). I am Mum travelling with 18 yo son and 16 year old daughter. I have to get a move on considering the time of year.

My first problem is that there just seems to be too much to see and do and my head is spinning. I am very open to some expert advice. My second problem is that I have a bit of a fear of driving down mountains with really winding roads. However, I do drive them (but not happily). I've read all the posts about tourists and driving, and I'm not sure if I'm over reacting and fearing the worst.

We want to do some day hikes (not too extreme!). We want to see some wildlife and nature, Kids want to do Shotover. I don't want to spend a fortune on activities, but don't have to be too miserly. We don't want to rush and see everything - let's face it, NZ is always going to be there and we can always come back.

I also don't want to be anywhere too crazy for New Year's Eve, considering there is one of us who can't legally go out and party, and the other one inexperienced at it (not me, haha).

Bearing this in mind, how does this sound and will the roads be okay:

26 ChCh (arrive midnight)

27 ChCh

28 Drive to Dunedin

29 Explore Dunedin/Catlins

30 Drive Te Anau

31 Explore

1 Drive to Queenstown - will road be okay?

2 Milford Sound Cruise

3 Queenstown

4 Drive to Lake Tekapo

5 Explore

6 Drive to Christchurch

7 Drive to Kaikoura (I really want to whale watch). Stay Kaioura??

8 Fly home to Sydney from Christchurch (5.00pm)

Does this itinerary keep me away from the scary roads, and do you think it ticks our boxes.

I really appreciate any advice, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Thanks

Red

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,620 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many things to do!!

Welcome to the NZ Forum. i think you need to look at a map of Fiordland. You have to go THROUGH Te Anau to get to Milford Sound and yet you are backtracking!

Why have you allowed no time to explore Dunedin?

28. Drive to Dunedin (2N)

29. Explore

30. Drive to Catlins

31. Drive to Te Anau (2N)

1. Drive to Milford Sound

2. Drive to QTN (2N)

3. Explore

4. Drive to Mt Cook ( far more to do than Lake Tekapo) 2N

5. Explore

6. Drive to Chch...

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many things to do!!

Zhuhai has offered a great looking trip.

The only road here to worry about is the Milford Road - take a bus tour from Te Anau and you will be good.

You could also do a whale watch bus tour from Chch - this will allow you to sit back and enjoy the scenery without worrying about the driving.

Happy travels :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many things to do!!

Thank you for replies! I feel assured about roads and excited for trip now!

I will get cracking now with bookings.

Many thanks again

Red

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,620 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many things to do!!

Another option, before you leap into those bookings, would be to do the Kaikoura whale watch tour on the 27th either by train or coach as a day trip from Chch so you don't have to think too much on that first day. You could then either shift everything else back a day, spending 28th exploring Chch, picking up the rental car & getting provisions then setting off to Dunedin on the 29th. OR keep things as they are & use the last day to explore Chch.

Remember you WILL be back - NZ is addictive!

5. Re: Too many things to do!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:16