We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

Day 1

From Christchurch to Castle hill, arthur pass national park, rest at Avalanche creek campsite

Day 2

Hike scott track, rest at Avalanche creek campsite

Day 3

Drive to Lake kaniere/Hokitika gorge/ Lake mahinapua, rest at otto/Mcdonald campsite

Day 4

Hike Robert point track, fox glacier valley walk, rest at otto/Mcdonald campsite

Day 5

Do lake matheson walk then drive to Hasst pass, rest at Kidds bush reserve campsite (lake Hawea)

Day 6

Hike rob roy track and then drive to moke lake campsite (queenstown)

Day 7

Do ben lomond walk way, rest at moke lake campsite

Day 8

Drive to routeburn shelter, hike from routeburn shelter to fall hut, rest at kinloch

Day 9

Drive to Lake manapouri/Lake Te anau, rest at Lake gunn campsite near the divide

Day 10

Hike Routeburn track : key summit and lake marian track, return to campsite

Day 11

Drive to milford sound, do the morning cruise, drive to white horse hill campground (Mt cook)

Day 12

Hike sealy tarns & Hooker valley walk

Day 13

Tasman glacier walk then drive to lake tekapo / mt john summit, rest at Waihi Gorge campsite

Day 14

Return to Christchurch

Thank you very much

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

What time of the year are you visiting?

How many hours or days will you be in NZ before day 1 begins?

Edited: 23 August 2014, 23:39
California
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

From a previous thread you are traveling late October, early November.

Day 11 is too long a drive and you should stopover somewhere closer to Queenstown or Wanaka.

As for Day 13, the Tasman Glacier Walks can be done in an hour and a half. You can drive to the top of Mt John, so Tekapo will be a half hour stop. With the day you lost between days 11 &12, you could drive directly from Mount Cook to Christchurch and do your sightseeing in Tekapo on the way.

Day 11 - drive from Lake Gunn to Milford for cruise, overnight Queenstown/Wanaka area

Day 12 - drive from Q/W area to Mount Cook, hike Tasman Glacier Walks

Day 13 - Hooker Valley / Sealy Tarns

Day 14 - drive Mount Cook to Christchurch with stop at Tekapo.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

WLnz : really sorry. I'll travel 27Oct - 9Nov and arrive CHC in the morning

deSchenk : Thank you very much for your suggestion. At first, I plan to walk on lake tekapo walkway which take 4 hrs long. Is it a MUST do? or is it ok to skip it and just take a quick photo around the lake.

https://www.rankers.co.nz/experiences/2128-L…

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

You arrive CHC at 10am? And plan to immediately drive off after a night of no sleep?

Please don't drive jet lagged - spend day one on Chch exploring and get a good night's sleep. The following day collect your rental and begin exploring.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

Thank you veru much for your worry. I fly from Melbourne so I think i'm fine :) I also already hire a car for 14 days.

However, I will get some rest in the morning and drive to arthur pass in the afternoon

Edited: 24 August 2014, 05:09
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

Are you fit & experienced enough to climb Avalanche Peak? Do note that it is a poled route, not a well-formed track above the treeline. You need to carry enough warm clothing & emergency food for a very long day (6 hr minimum).

On day 4, I beleve the Roberts Point Track is closed following a landslide a year or so ago.

How many in your party? It is advisable to sign in a DoC headquarters if doing long tramps, esp solo. Do remember to sign out when you get back ;)

Edited: 24 August 2014, 08:47
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

Thank you so much for avalanche peak advices. I and my friend are not experienced in hiking at all but trying to prepare our body and collect information as much as possible before the date of arrival. So, I believe that I can finish it slower than experienced people (maybe 8-10 hrs for us). I will remember that I have to sign in and out at arthurs pass visitor center.

California
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

I don't think the walkway at Tekapo is a must do. The view from the Astro Cafe is special, but you can drive there if it's before 5pm.

9. Re: Please suggest my revised 14-day trip south island please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16