We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

Hi,

My husband and I will be in South Island from Sept 1 through Sept 8 (flying in an out of Queenstown). We are planning to drive along the West Coast from Queentstown all the way upto Franz Josef and returning via Arthur's Pass and Lake Tekapo. Is this driving trip possible, given the weather conditions there? I have heard that South island at the moment has an exceptional terrible snow weather, so I am a little worried.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

You have been misinformed.

…govt.nz/traffic/…south-island.html

your biggest battle will be overambitions plans and too few days. I wouldn't attempt your route in under 10 days.

You got considerable help on your other tread - have you now a final itinerary?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

Thanks WLnz! Yeah we kind made an ambitious itinerary but have kept it flexible:

Day 1: Queenstown

Day 2: Milford Sound

Dar 3: Queens Town

Day 4: Franz Josef

Day 5: Arthur's Pass

Day 6: Mt. Cook

Day 7: Wanaka

Day 8: Return from Queenstown

Franz Josef and Arthur's Pass are kept open at the moment, we might end up not doing those and instead spend an extra day in Mt Cook and Wanaka. Will take it on the fly :)

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

You know you pass through Wanaka when driving Q'town to Franz? and you have to detour to go via Wanaka from Aoraki/Mt Cook.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,486 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

I would change it to :

3. QTN to Wanaka

4. Wanaka to FJG (an easier drive than QTN to FJG)

5. FJG to somewhere east of Arthurs Pass, nearer to Chch, maybe Darfield as AP to Mt Cook is quite a long day.

6. Drafield to Mt Cook

7. Mt Cook to QTN

8. Fly home.

Do bear in mind that you have allowed no time to actually do anything at any of your destinations!!

5. Re: West Coast Drive - 1st week of September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:16