We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Kensington
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Hope you got my first long message I wrote about three days ago about our stay in Marlbrough. I wrote all about the wineries we visited. I forgot to include two bits of info. We had a very good dinner at Gibbs restaurant and the setting and service were lovely. If you go to Te Whare Ra winery there is a sigh on the door always that says closed. You just have to ring the bell and wait for someone to come to the Cellar door. The winery is owned and operated by a couple that have two sets of Twins and therefore are multitasking!!!! Hope you are getting my e-mails. ZIN

Fairfax,VA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Zinfanatic

I have been following your posts, as we are leaving from Washington, D.C., area for New Zealand on February 10, and, like you, love food and wine. (Interesting, we already have reservations for Gibbs!) I do not see any posts from you from three days ago. Could you share/post the information that you have about your stay? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Again I stress when you go there are 3 or 4 MUST do wineries!!! They are in no particular order Alan Scott, Cloudy Bay, Forrest Estate and Wither Hills.... Woooohoooo wine and foodie heaven!

Kensington
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Mauisun- The first long e-mail that I wrote vanished into cyperspace and the second I wrote yesterday was cut off before I could send it as the internet connection went off. As I said, the B&B I stayed at made some appointments for me- some wineries that I had chosen based on notes from friends in the business, and some from the owners. All were samll wineries except for Spyhill. We enjoyed Huia, Seresin and Nautilus. Nautilus is know for Pinot and we did get to do a barrel tasting of many Chards and Pinots there led by the assistant winemaker. The following day we went to Te whare Ra to meet Jason. The closed sign will be up , but ring the bell! We really liked his Pinot Gris, Gerw. and SB. We then went to Spy Hill and our last appointment was Mahi- on the map Chateau Brun I think. This winery is owned now by the former winemaker at Seresin- good wine there too. Brian spent two housrs with us! We also went to Fromm for just a Cellar door-good. The only winery that did not treat us well was Kathy Linskey. We did not want to go to the larger wineries as the service is not very personal and we think you can interact with the staff of Kiwis better at smaller wineries. We can taste Alan Scott and Cludy Bay at Home! Hope this helps. We have had a great stay in Abel Tasman andhad a great lunch at a cafe near Westport today- Beach house Cafe. ZIN

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Well yes you can taste alan scott and cloudy bay at home - but probably only certain vintages - closed mind = closed doors.

Fairfax,VA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

Thanks for posting more details--really appreciate it! Krusada does have a point in that we like to taste what we can later buy in the US; however, it's good to try the smaller wineries, too. Many thanks for the info.

6. Re: MauiSun-more about Marlborough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Blenheim