We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand in a week?

Long Beach CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand in a week?

We have a fabulous trip planned to Spain, with museums in Madrid and bodegas in La Rioja. Unfortunately, with the volcano ash, we can't get there, so we're thinking about New Zealand (I'm an airline employee) instead.

Looking for time in Marlborough, as well as the North Island, as we'll be flying over via SYD. We'll probably arrive on Sunday and leave on Saturday. Open to suggestions for wine, food, scenery and culture.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand in a week?

Hello Katie, welcome to the Kiwi forum :)

With just one week to explore, I would base myself in one location rather than both islands.

Queenstown is fabulous for wine (stunning boutique vineyards), food and scenery (most of the spectacular LOTR scenes are from there), though less on culture. You certainly won't run short of things to do.

Hope this helps, happy planning :)

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand in a week?

Now direct flights are operating from Sydney to Rotorua, I would suggest this is the place to see Maori culture, to walk scenic thermal valleys, to try some exciting activities such as rafting, riverjet boat rides, horseback riding in the bush and lots more. Take a look at www.rotoruaNZ.com.

You could spend two days here ( more if possible as you will soon find things to do), then travel three hours to the Art Deco capital of NZ, Napier, also an area of good wineries. One night here and then travel via the Wairarapa ( great wines in Martinborough) to Wellington.Overnight here and then travel by ferry to Blenheim and stay at a B & B on a wine estate. You could either return to Wellington or catch the Coastal Pacific train to Christchurch and fly from there.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand in a week?

The alternative to the fantastic scenic deep South of Queenstown or Blenhiem / marlborough is the Nelson province next door which has everything built in. I find the marlborough a little flat and featureless in comparison and tend to spend only 25% of any trip up the top end of the South Island in that ratio. Nelson area is that food/wine/scenery/goodtimes venue that encompasses a bit of everything NZ.

Rotorua is an option to do the terry tourist bit for 2 days and then fly south.....me i only head to the South Island every 2 years and still have plenty of places to see.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Long Beach CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand in a week?

Thank you for the reply. We've heard great things about Queenstown.

5. Re: New Zealand in a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Blenheim