We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State Highway 1

Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
State Highway 1

Hi, we will be flying into Christchurch to tour the South Island towards the end of January, as our flight gets in late afternoon I've planned to overnight in Hanmer Springs before heading to Blenheim. I see that State Highway 1 is due to reopen by Christmas but wondered if anyone knows what the likely condition of the road will be, e.g. will there be single track sections controlled by traffic lights, will there be sections that have temporary road surfaces, etc. Also what would be an estimated drive time using it? Perhaps I should still plan on using the inland route?

Thanks in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State Highway 1

There will almost certainly be delays, single lane sections, and unpaved surfaces.

However I imagine it will still be quicker than the inland route.

Personally, I would take the newly opened coastal route, even if it took longer, just the see the extent of the damage and to get an understanding of what was involved in the reconstruction.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,341 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State Highway 1

#1 +1/

The coast road will be 1 hour shorter than the inland road. provided you allow yourself to get impatient it will also be a much more interesting drive.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State Highway 1

From what has been advised the road will be open before Xmas with restrictions and many one lane area with possible stop/Go controls and construction work still going ahead.

Yes it will be interesting to see all the great work that has been performed sometimes under great difficulty over a short period of time.

My feeling is yes it will be shorter with great views but with possible restrictions. Allow plenty of time and enjoy the trip.

Inland route will probably take around 5 Hrs as there will still be a lot of traffic in January. On the flip side if the coastal road has been opened as planned a lot of people will be travelling this road also just to have a look and will probably be driving a lot slower.

IMO it is a toss of a coin so allow 5 hrs on either road.

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State Highway 1

If you decide on the coastal route you won't need the night in Hanmer. My suggestion is to transfer it to Kaikoura, but get in quick as Kaikoura accommodation is at a premium due to many of the road construction crew staying in the town.

Montrose, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State Highway 1

Thanks for all of the advice, I've changed from Hanmer to Kaikoura.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: State Highway 1

Hi ,

From the latest report, State Highway 1 ( from Christchurch to Kaikoura ) will be open by this week ( before 1st.Dec'17 ). Is it a fact?

If it is, can anyone advise as to how the road condition will be and how long will it take to travel by car from Christchurch to Kaikoura ?

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: State Highway 1

The Christchurch to Kaikoura section has been open for ages. You should allow 2 hours for the journey.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,328 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: State Highway 1

The confusion between posts 6 & 7 arises from the fact that SH south of Kaikoura has been CLOSED Tues-Thur for the past few months (thus only open in daylight hours from Fri-Mon each week). From next week the road will be open 7 days a week. Also note that contrary to post #7, NZTA recommends allowing 4 hours from Chch to Kaikoura!

…govt.nz/traffic/roadclosures/193227

Te Anau, New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: State Highway 1

No one ever tells me anything. 😩 I thought it opened with great fan fare about 6 months ago, then was closed again by slips the day I decided to visit Kaikoura, so I had to use the inland route. I was under the impression it reopened shortly afterwards, but perhaps this was with restricted hours.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: State Highway 1

Hi, from the latest NZTA news and other replies, it will take between 3 to 4 hours on SH1 and some areas will still be under one lane and traffic control.

May I know how you can manage within 2 hours ? Do share your experience and I would love to reach within 3 hours.

Reply to: State Highway 1
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted