Wondered if anyone could give me some advice on hiring a Campervan in NZ in January 2008. We'll be arriving in Christchurch on 3rd Jan 2008 and staying for one night in the city before picking up a Campervan on the morning of the 4th Jan.
I want to reach Picton on Sat 12th Jan where we would give back the Camper and catch the ferry over to Wellington.
If anyone could advise me on any of the following it would be much appreciated.
1. Is it worth getting a van with a shower? We don't plan to book any campsites prior to getting there and although we have an idea of things we want to do we want to be pretty free to go where we want to.
2. Are you able to just pull in at a nice spot and settle for the night or do you have to find a designated campsite to stay at?
3. Can anyone give me an idea of which companies are good to hire from? There are so many to choose from on the web!
4. As its peak season if we want to stay at a campsite will we struggle to get in or are there enough around if you are prepared to stay slightly out of the main areas
5. What are the average prices of the campsites in NZ? I presume it depends on the facilities.
Also (being cheeky now!) can anyone advise on how long the ferry takes and how often they run for foot passengers. Also earliest and latest times would be great.
Lee and Michelle