We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

My husband and I will be flying out later this year and we have both secured roles at the main hospital. We need to find somewhere to rent in a quiet area but not too far to commute. We have been told Sumner Bay and New Brighton will suit us (we have never been) and wondered if we could have some advice from locals, such as driving distance etc. We have a well behaved dog which is complicating our search a little!

If there are any other similar areas we would also consider them, we are country people so don't really want to be in the city centre with the dog. Many thanks for any help in advance.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Have a look at rentals on Trademe and it'll give you an idea of what's available. All areas have different prices, it depends on what price you can afford?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/

Sumner is lovely, but there is only 1 way in and out.

Brighton, is not what it use to be, but is trying to make a comeback. They are quite a distance to the hospital compared to say Papanui, St Albans & Bishopdale which are good areas. And takes about 15- 20 mins to get to hospital - If it's not rush hour!

I would stay away from Linwood, Bromley area.

Riccarton & Ilam are close to the university, so it has more of a student population.

Fendalton and Cashmere are more upmarket.

Christchurch has an excellent bus service, which covers the whole city.

Have a look a this site below to, it has a bit of info on living there that may help.

It's a great city, that doesn't feel like a city as it's so spread out.

http://www.christchurch.org.nz/Living/

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

That's brilliant, thanks a lot kiwigirl. I'll have a bit of search.

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Hi

Christchurch Kiwigirl has given you some great advice. Your pet dog will make it difficult to find Rental accomodation. Suggest you look at www.harcourts.co.nz

for rental properties in the countryside where the dog will be more welcome.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

If you are coming for a short stay I suggest you also try the University of Canterbury's online "Diary" which carries adverts for house-sitters. Otherwise, since the hospital is west of the city centre I'd look in Yaldhurst, Riccarton or Avonhead for rental properties.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. We will have fun looking!

bloomington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Hi

Chch_kiwigirl summed it up pretty well, however I would recommend that you do not completely rule out living in the central city. There are many quiet residential areas within the central city (and within walking distance to the hospital) and there is also a large 400+ acre park (Hagley Park) by the hospital where many people walk their dogs. I also grew up in the country and up until recently have lived for the last 12 years within the 4 avenues in the NW corner. It was great spot, one block from the park, a 20min. walk to work (I worked close to the hospital) and close to everything else you could possibly need. Most of time I lived there I didn't have a car as it wasn't necessary. With petrol prices on the rise, it's worth considering!

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

My friend lives in Fendalton, nice area and a 20 min walk to Hagley Park where the hospital is

Jewels

Christchurch
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

I work at the Hospital and live on the outskirts of Addington, near Antigua Street. It only takes me fifteen minutes to walk to the hospital and the street I live in is very well groomed.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Hi Melchett

I work at CHCH Hospital - first question are you doing shift work or 8-4.30 positions.

This is important - if it is shift work you can not depend on public transport to get you there early enough. Nursing shifts start anywhere from 0630 onward. Afternoon shift vary as do nights. Another thing is THERE IS NO PARKING!!!!! If you work during the day you have to be there no later than 7am to get a street park. The parking building has just gone up to $17per day and you will probably be retired by the time you get a 'hospital' allocated parking space. I have waited four years now and still have a 150 people to knock off b4 I get one.

So I don't keep on keeping on with this reply let me know what sort of times you are working and then I can make suggestions that will work for your employment situation and the dog.

cheers

Kiwi

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ChCh Hospital jobs, but where should we stay?

Hi 4kiwitravellers,

Please excuse the delay, I've not checked this thread for a while. I will be doing ward-based nursing so I might be using my bike! When we arrive we will be staying within walking distance so I guess we should make the most of it.

Thanks very much for your reply and to everyone else too, feel free to let me know if anything else comes to mind, only 3 weeks to go now!!!