We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June - ski advice please

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
June - ski advice please

Hi

I have to be in Christchurch over the weekend of 14/15 June for work - what a shame!! ha ha. I am attempting to get an extra few days there, of course, as I see that is the scheduled opening of the ski season....I was thinking of not booking accommodation or a return flight until I got there and had a better idea of snow conditions on the fields there. I have only been skiing a couple of times in my life (Queenstown) and would love another try near Christchurh. Would it be too risky not to book a/c? Which snow field would you recommend for a mature age lady on her own, that is a novice?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June - ski advice please

Hi Sunshine Coast

Mt Hutt, an hour from Chch, is beginner friendly and opens June 14th. Being opening weekend it will be busy. If you want some accommodation close to the slopes I would suggest you book asap, or you prefer to drive from Chch. The Southern Alps has had a good dumping of snow already so conditions should be good :)

Porters ski area is closest to Chch, however it isn't scheduled to open until June 26h.

Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June - ski advice please

thanks for your reply - will take your advise Skiing at Mt Hutt, here I come!!!!! Will book some accomodation tomorrow.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June - ski advice please

Have fun on the slopes! And don't forget a pair of warm possum socks to keep your toes cosy while skiing :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June - ski advice please

Hi SunshineCoastLady

Lots of fab snow here this past weekend. Heard on the radio this morning that it added anothe 35cm to the base at Mt Hutt.

You should have some great skiing if weather stays like this!

5. Re: June - ski advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:20