We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the dark

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Driving in the dark

We land in Chch about 3pm and by the time we go to Peppers and unload etc, we fear it may be dark. Can any locals please tell me any restaurants near to Peppers Clearwater as it may be unsafe to drive our hire car in June when it is dark and possibly icy? Any thoughts? taa

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the dark

You'll be fine to drive your car in the dark to go out for dinner, it's the mornings when the roads can be icy.

There is a restaurant at Clearwater itself, if you don't want to go out.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the dark

The restaurant at Peppers is very good also - just enjoy the convenience of having a really nice restaurant onsite for your first night and have an early night!

The chocolate cake for dessert is especially delicious... :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in the dark

It might be safe to drive your car at night most of the time but there is always the exception! Right now at 4.30pm in Chch - it is snowing. GREAT BIG HUGE FLAKES! Very gorgeous according to uni daughter who has just sent a text. Wouldnt be venturing too far tonight!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in the dark

padso, there is snow over most of the lower south island at the moment!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in the dark

Sadly the light dusting of snow has almost melted here in Wanaka. I was hoping for a proper snowfall.

Yesterday I was in Te Anau and it was simply stunning hiking by the Mavora lakes with enormous snowflakes falling. I guess I was lucky not to get snowed in!

6. Re: Driving in the dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 16:18