We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stores in Christchurch

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
228 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Stores in Christchurch

We're planning to road trip the south island, and stay at B&Bs. I would like to take a small soft-sided cooler so that we could pack some ice, food and drinks for our drives and day trips/hikes.

We will be arriving Christchurch on a Saturday evening, and will overnight there the first night. We would like to get some shopping done on Sunday, then head toward our next destination (not sure of the itinerary yet).

Can you recommend a grocery store where we could pick up snacks, drinks, and sandwich fixings?

Also, can you recommend a store where we can buy towels and pillows? I'd like to have some beach towels with us, and I'll need an extra pillow for the driving, but I don't want to pack them.

Preferably, these stores would be near each other, as we'd like to limit our city driving.

What time do the stores open on Sunday?

Thanks so much!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stores in Christchurch

There are two big supermarkets (Pak N Save and Countdown) close to one another along Moorhouse Ave. in city centre. If you don't drive, they can be reached by the free city circuit shuttle which pass by Cathedral Square. You should be able to find all the things you mentioned at these 2 supermarkets. I visited Pak N Save while we were there in last month.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Hi fishrach,

Pak & Save in Moorhouse st for food etc, like previous entry said, and Farmers Department Store at 767 Colombo St for towells etc. Opening hours 10.00am to 5.00pm on Saturday & Sunday. We also took a thermos that we filled with hot water every day. Great for stopping at scenic spots and having coffee/tea and lunch.

Cheers!

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Hi

You have been given some pretty good advice but first off when do you arrive in Christchurch and secondly where will you spend Saturday night?

I ask these questions because we have many shopping malls which all have major nationwide supermarkets

and department stores.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Just a thought about using the 'small soft sided cooler'.

We did the same when we visited Australia several months back, and thought it would be ideal to bring home with us with the many extra purchases one does.

Sounded like a great idea and worked well.

untill!!!!!!!!!!!

Enter back into NZ through the quarantine check and we wondered why this cute little dog taken a liking to my wife and wouldn't go away.

The dog could smell that it had been used for food, even so it had been washed out etc.

So it meant a lot of extra explaining and made us subject to a customs baggage search all of which taken extra time.

Consider leaving your 'soft sided cooler' behind in NZ to save any embarrasment

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stores in Christchurch

There is a great big "the Wharehouse" in Blenheim road. Buy pillows and new soft sided cooler bag and similar stuff there. Come out turn left onot Blenheim Road again, then turn right at 2nd set of lights and down Hanson Lane to 24 hour countdown supermarket. You will save a lot of time with MAF + Customs if you do not have used pichnic stuff, and definitely no left over food! Countdown is 24 hours, most "general" shops open at 10 on a Sunday although many like The Wharehouse will open at 9.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Ooops! Should have mentioned, Blenheim Rd is one of the main roads out of the city heading South or West. So if you are heading to the West Coast or Queenstown it will be on your way through an area where the traffic flows. On a sunday morning you will almost have the area to yourself. If you have a hotel/motel in the Riccarton Road area, it's the same neighbourhood.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Hi. Countdown supermarket is no longer 24 hour operation, it closes at midnight- still quite long hours though. Most stores open on Sunday between 0900 and 1000- supermarkets usually at 0800.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stores in Christchurch

Can't have been enough Alascans wanting to buy groceries at 2.45am!

9. Re: Stores in Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 23:19