We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a cooler or ice box

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
91 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing a cooler or ice box

Hello fabulous forum-ites!

Only 19 days until I leave for New Zealand! Yippee! I will be traveling by car and most likely self-catering at least some picnics along the way. Can anyone tell me where I might purchase a small cooler or ice box in Christchurch to keep drinks and perishables cool? I'm not sure what sort of store carries this type of item in New Zealand. Also, where does one purchase wine and beer to take away? In the States it varies by state. Sometimes in the grocery store, sometimes at a "liquor store". And what about ice? Is this readily available at grocery or convenience stores? Please advise. Thanks!

CD

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Zen Sushi and Dumplings
££ - £££, Chinese, Japanese, Fast food
Bacon Brothers
£, Bar, Fast food, New Zealand
Nobanno
££ - £££, Asian, Bangladeshi
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,178 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

Hi CD :)

You can get a chilly bin at any Warehouse, Mitre 10 or camping store. Also get a couple of cooling pads to place inside as you can re-freeze them every night at your accommodation.

There are liquor stores and wines shops all over the country, however generally the larger supermarkets (not the smaller convenience stores) have the lowest prices. You can also buy wine directly from many of the vineyards you will be passing/stopping at.

You get ice at most supermarkets and petrol/gas stations, but the most efficient way to keep your goods chilled is by using the small 'slicker pads' which you freeze and place in the cooler.

not long now before your trip... have a wonderful time :)

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
91 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

Hi WL!

Thanks so much! That's perfect. Just the information I was looking for! I can't wait...

Cheers,

CD

Alaska
Level Contributor
255 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

We're planning to do the same thing--buying a cooler and thermos when we arrive.

Can someone tell me if bottled water is sold in NZ? We usually buy a case and keep it in the car. We freeze bottles for our ice, and as they thaw we can drink them. It's less expensive than the cold packs and they last longer.

I just wanted to be certain that we can buy a case of bottle water on arrival. I know some cities are banning bottled water.

Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

pak n save are usually the supermarkets with the cheapest prices, they sell small and large bottles of water, teh small ones you cna buy in a "six pack" type carton- have a great holiday

New Zealand
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

I love the Kiwi name of "chilly bin" for their coolers.

Just gpo to the warehouse or even the local service station for one.............

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

We took a ccoler bag with us as we had space in our luggage and we bought a thermos flask at a branch of Wharehouse along with a couple of plastic mugs.

As a previous poster mentioned,it's easy to stick the cooler ice packs in the freezer compartment overnight in your motel.

We safely carried our butter/milk/cheese etc. from place to place without wasting anything.

It also enables coffee,tea and lunch stops in more remote scenic places.

We'll do the same on our next trip.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,909 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

The nearest Warehouse is in Riccarton or Northlands Mall, depending on where you stay. Why buy bottled water? NZ tap water is perfectly good. In fact Chch water is 3000 year-old glacier water - completely unadulterated by chemicals.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

I would have to agree with Zhuhai about buying bottled water. Buy your initial water at the Warehouse when you buy your chilly Bin/Eski/Cooler whatever you want to call it. water ischeapest at the warehouse. NZ water from the tap is as good as any water you will find around the world. In fact the NZ Commerce Commission recently prosecuted a large national supplier of water for using tap water and claiming it was artesian, 110% pure etc you get my drift. Let your water run from the tap for a short while before topping up your bottles in case there are any impurities in the pipes.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,709 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

You do not need bottled water anywhere in NZ. however if you are one of those who think you do, you can get wine, beer, and water from New World, Countdown or Woolworth supermakets or any other of our well equiped supermarkets. Christchurch water has the highest rating available, in the world! Avignon in France the only other place with this rating!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing a cooler or ice box

The water from the aquafir in Petone will give any water in the world a run for its money and its free.