We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

My husband and I are going to NZ for the first time in Feb. We have been reading up on attractions, and want to make the best of our trip (I know that 5 days is way too short for NZ). We want to take a road trip from Christchurch to Queenstown and back to Christchurch.

Can someone help with our questions below?

1. We are contemplating renting a bike or a car - what do you think is best for that part of South Island?

2. I hear that Feb is hot in NZ, but have found a range of temperatures. Can you advise what the temperature is like in that time of the year?

3. Can you suggest an itinerary to see the best of South Island in 5 days?

Thanks a bunch!

PlainJane

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Hi,

A bike is fine, but is much slower than a can so you connot cover the same distances in the same day.

5 Days is ok, but is very short as the first day you may be fatigued where driving is dangerous.

My sugestion would be

day 1 local sights around Chrstchurch, then drive to Hanmer springs, relax in the hot pools and unwind.

day 2 Hanmer springs to Punakaiki via the buller gorge.

day 3 Punakaiki to Franz Joseph Glacier

day 4 enjoy Glaciers with heli hike , quad biking hot pools etc

day 5 rturn to Christchurch via Arthur's pass

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Hi Jane,

Have you considered flying to Queenstown from Christchurch? That would save you a bit of time. Air New Zealand have fares as low as $59NZD in February on their website. And the flight is one of the best scenic flights you can get. Then you can hire a car there, explore Queenstown area, visit Milford Sound and drive back to ChCh via Aoraki/Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo. Hope that helps.

Asia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Thank you for your suggested itinerary, coaster2. We have pretty much decided on renting a big bike to go around - we think the road is scenic and the altitude difference will be quite an experience.

Never thought of flying down to Queenstown from Christchurch, though...guess that can be a consideration. Thanks for your advice, kikiflower.

Edited: 13 December 2009, 07:46
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

You didnt say a motor bike, I thought you were thinking about pedals, and a lot of people use bicycles to tour NZ.

Trouble with the flying option is you only get to see nz from very high up, and unless you have a window seat on the right hand side , then thescenery wont be much either. (yes i have done that flight many times)

If the motor bike is a big touring bike, then cosider chc to franz Joseph, via Arthur's pass for some aweosme scenery and check out the kea (mountain parrot that eats motor bikes for desert)

franz joseph to Queenstown, spend a wee bit of time in Queenstown , then QT to Christchurch via tekapo.

It can work so have a great time, and be careful on any new road repairs with loose chip on the road

Asia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Yup, we'll be renting a big motorbike for the trip. Will let you know if we survive the kea ;)

Thanks again!

Asia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

Hi,

We are just finalizing our itinerary for our New Zealand trip in Feb, and have a quick question:

We are contemplating either doing a heli-ride of Franz Josef & Mount Cook or a half day glacier hike in Franz Josef. What would you recommend to experience the best of Franz Josef?

Thanks,

PlainJane

7. Re: What to do: 5-day trip in Christchurch in Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 05:16