We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best thing to do is ???

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
The best thing to do is ???

I am coming to Christchurch with my husband and an elderly friend for a long weekend in October arriving via Jetstar around 11pm. I am trying to decide what the best arrangements would be regarding accommodation for at least that night and also how to pick up a rental car ASAP. The issue about the car is being able to fully inspect it for existing damage - just got caught on a recent trip as, being really tired and sick on arrival, I did not check the windscreen and only noticed a chip when we were on our way. Won't suffer that expense again! Also, at that hour the rental desks may not be open.

So, do I book a hotel/motel near the airport and pick up the car in the morning or taxi to the city and pick up a car the next day . . or. . ? Regarding a taxi, we will be three people each with a check in bag, due to the need for bulkier warm clothing - and carry on so does ChCh have vans as taxis?

I have been checking the reviews for accommodation but if anyone who has had these same needs ie very elderly companion, late arrival, rental etc could advise me, I'd really appreciate the advice.

Many thanks

Archi

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best thing to do is ???

Hi Archi -

You might consider booking a hotel that provides an airport shuttle or booking a shuttle to your hotel via this service:

http://www.supershuttle.co.nz/

You can then get some rest and arrange to be collected at your hotel the following morning by a rental car company, which will etiher take you to their depot, or bring the car directly to you, giving you ample time to inspect it.

I've had rental car companies in NZ do both of the above, they're very accommodating.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best thing to do is ???

That's great advice. Have checked the link and like it. Now to decide on a hotel !

Many thanks

Archi

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best thing to do is ???

I'd go straight for the Sudima - it is 500 metres from the airport, and they'll still send a shuttle to pick you up. Its even quite a nice hotel. In the morning, one of your group could walk back to the airport (it really is that close) and get a rental car.

Or you could go for one of the off-airport places - Jucy, Ace, Apex are all I have used and trust. Book in advance and they deliver to the airport - I'm sure they'll do the same for the hotels near the airport. These rental places tend to be a bit cheaper than the ones at the airport, which are just the majors (Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Budget).

4. Re: The best thing to do is ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 06:17