We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything I should know/any

Philadelphia...
1 post
Save Topic
Anything I should know/any

Hello!

I am going to be traveling from the US to Christchurch in mid-December. My husband will be just coming back from a work trip to the South Pole Station and I will be meeting him in Christchurch and we will be spending about a week there.

I have been trying to do some research, but there is just so much information out there that it is a little overwhelming. I am so excited for this trip (New Zealand is at the top of my list of places I want to traavel to) and I was wondering if anyone out there has some suggestions for things to do.

We are in our 30's, very interested in history/cultural activities/museums. We also enjoy wine tasting and trying new restaurants. We are both big Lord of The Rings fans and might enjoy some sort movie sights tour. As far as budget, we are not afraid to spend money to have a nice time, but we are not rolling in money (so I guess mid-level pricing).

I plan on spending a lot of time doing my own research in the coming weeks, but if anyone who reads this has a few minutes to make a suggestion or two, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hassle Free Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Free Christchurch Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Botanic Gardens Tour
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours
Can NZ
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
79 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything I should know/any

Issa - we didn't stop in Christchurch on our trip to NZ last year, but if you can drive down to Queenstown you will have the most amazing time of your life. We did canyoning while down there, and also went horseback riding in Glenorchy (gateway to paradise they call it, and its just unbelievable beauty - they also filmed a lot of scenes from lord of the rings there).

I would say if this is your first time in NZ, you can't miss Queenstown. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Uzma

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything I should know/any

Take a day trip or even an overnighter to Akaroa, a very picturesque village about an hour's drive from Christchurch. Go on a dolphin swim/watch trip to see our very unique and oh-so cute Hectors dolphins.

Visit Hamner Springs for some awesome scenery and alpine walks plus a night soak in the hot springs. Visit Kaikoura while you're up that way(and the Waipara vineyards) see seals, ocean birds and take a whale watch tour if you're keen.

Here's a site to check for LOTR locations nearby;

maps.google.com/maps…

Have fun!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything I should know/any

NZ's rarest dolphins;

www.blackcat.co.nz/…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything I should know/any

Yes,in the drive south from Christchurch to Queenstown you will see a variety of land & seascapes.You could break the journey in Dunedin - well worth a day.

I prefer Arrowtown/Wanaka/Te Anau to Queenstown, but in any event you will be treated to stunning landscape in all of this area.Into Central Otago & say Clyde or Alexandra - again stunning country,housing the Rail Trail & world beating Pinot Noir in the local vineyards. From Central,over the Haast Pass & thru the Southern Alps - you can now drive up the West Coast thru glaciers & rainforest to the wine producing area of Nelson/Marlborough.As a New Zealander who has travelled often & extensively thru NZ & overseas I know you will not be dissapointed ! I have done this trip (often!) & rate it very highly. Enjoy your stay - take sunscreen,repellent & a good hat!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything I should know/any

Consider staying at the Orari B and B. Absolutely beautiful place to stay and right in the heart of the city.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything I should know/any

You can certainly do alot of things in and around Christchurch without having to go all the way to Queenstown if you prefer not to spend too long in the car. there is jet boating, Maori evening preformance, LOTR tours, Whitewater rafting (with the same mountain background as Edoras, Lord of the Rings). Infact you could raft with Rangitata Rafts on your way through to Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook. And/or go north to Kaikoura for whale watching and dolphin swimming, Akaora. Have a fantastic time.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything I should know/any

We recently drove about an hour or so out of Christchurch and visited several wineries in the Waipara Valley. We used a brochure called the Waipara Valley Wineries Wine Trail which we picked up at the Visitor Center in Christchurch Cathedral Square. One was the Pegasus Bay Winery, which had beautiful grounds and an award winning restaurant which serves lunch, with the food being paired with suggsted wines. We also stopped at the Mud House Winery and Cafe, where you can actually walk along some rows of vines to see the grapes. Also stopped at another one down the road--the name escapes me now. We just walked in for tasting; did not schedule an actual tour but could have done so if we called in advance. If you do not want to drive yourself there are of course tour companies that do this, but they seemed pricey to us.

8. Re: Anything I should know/any

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 06:32