We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NSW
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

If so would you recommend it please?

Thanks

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

very central, but I havent stayed there - one of my friends did and reckons its good, but I'd be comparing prices with the other hotel you asked about - and decide based on price difference.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

I've stayed there twice (most recently, Friday night), and do recommend it, highly. You do have to be aware that its not like normal hotels - they've gone all out to maximise the use of the space. Rooms are small but carefully designed. Wifi is a bit flakey, although free, but there are 4 Macs with big screens for all to use. There is also a large communal lounge area as well as a rather good looking (and good) bar/cafe.

Oh, and it is no longer the Hotel So: its owner went broke and Accor snapped up the property so it is now All Seasons Cashel Street.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

I think some of the rooms are completely internal and have large flat screen TV rather than windows. It is right in the heart of the CBD.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

Hi Jelly7780

Have not stayed there myself but other members of staff who come down from Nth Island often stay there. It is comfortable I gather but due to its unusual design it is a bit like being in a windowless shoe box. But if it is only a place to sleep it should be fine - advice from those who stay there though is to take a torch - as the rooms often don't have windows there is no street lights to make the room visable once you turned the light off - pitch black - so if you have a little torch it makes those loo trips in the night a little safer - saves turning the big light on and waking up completely.

cheers

Kiwi

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

Just on the lighting, there is no need for a torch as the rooms are equipped with a variety of lights, meaning you don't need to use the main light. In fact there is a blue under-bed light that they say you should leave on as it helps you sleep (they also have a light incorporated into the alarm - they say its like waking up to the sun - very big on lights, these people!).

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

We stayed there a while back with our 3 teenaged sons and all loved it. It is really quite funky and is perfect for just a night or two if you are planning just to sleep and get dressed there. I think having a family room opened up the space a bit more though and imagine that the rooms would be especially small on their own. However, for the price, we couldn't fault it. The restaurant downstairs was great for a meal too.

7. Re: Anyone stayed at Hotel So @ Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 05:43