We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - itinerary

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Help - itinerary

Hi,

Need some advise on my itinerary for my honeymoon in sept.

We have 9D8N, arriving and departing in Christchurch.

We hope to visit these places and try these activities.

- Te Anua

- Queenstown

- Wanaka

- Franz Josef

- Milford sound

- Kaikoura (to visit the maori culture. heard that this is the best place.)

- Sky diving in wanaka or Te anua

- Horse riding (visit Lord of the Rings)

- Farm stay

Some considerations that we have:

- driving long/dangerous routes

- not too tiring (cos we are on our honeymoon)

- nice and scenic driving

We are quite lost in our planning.... Thus would need advise.... any recommended route/ itinerary (places that we can 'miss out')?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - itinerary

Congratulations on your wedding and on choosing NZ for your honeymoon. I agree that you have chosen rather a lengthy driving route and 6 places (plus Chch) in 8 days gives you no time for more than 1 night in each place. Do look at aamaps.co.nz for driving times. Here are three options:

Option 1, the long one (your choice):

Day 1 Arr Chch

Day 2 Drive to Wanaka

Day 3 Drive to Te Anau (2 nights)

Day 4 Day trip to Milford Sound

Day 5 Drive to Queenstown

Day 6 Drive to Franz Josef Glacier

Day 7 Drive to Darfield or Rangiora

Day 8 Drive to Kaikoura

Day 9 Drive to CHC & fly home

Option 2 (omit Kaikoura - my choice):

Day 1 Arr Chch

Day 2 Drive to Mt Cook

Day 3 Drive to Queenstown (2 nights)

Day 5 Drive to Te Anau-Milford Sound-Te Anau

Day 6 Drive to Wanaka

Day 7 Drive to Franz Josef Glacier

Day 8 Drive to Chch

Day 9 Fly home

Or Option 3 (save 3 days car hire by flying to ZQN)

Day 1 Arr Chch

Day 2 FLY to QTN (3 nights)

Day 3 or 4 Coach-cruise-fly day trip to Milford Sound

Day 5 Drive to Wanaka

Day 6 Drive to Franz Josef Glacier

Day 7 Drive to Darfield or Rangiora

Day 8 Drive to Kaikoura

Day 9 Drive to CHC & fly home

Unless you desperately want to see whales or dolphins, I recommend leaving Kaikoura for another trip. It is in the opposite direction to your other destinations.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - itinerary

Thanks for your advise.

Flying to queenstown looks good. =)

We are not a big fan of whale or dolphins. We wanted to go there to look at the moari culture/exhibitions/museum. Any suggestions of possible place to experience the moari culture?

Where can I look for reliable, affordable and fun packages for Coach-cruise-fly day trip to Milford Sound?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - itinerary

I've been to Queenstown many a time and could not remember seeing a Maori experience, however I found this link which might help you:

www.queenstown-nz.co.nz/information/product/…

I went to the link for Unique Hangis but their website appears to be down - you could email or phone them? Or even just ask around when you arrive in Queenstown.

For visiting Milford Sound - suggest organising this when you arrive due to the weather if wanting a return trip out of Milford by plane.

The Canterbury Museum http://www.canterburymuseum.com/ has a display of Maori history but the museum is still closed due to our February Earthquake - the gardens that surround the museum are open though and are worth a visit.

Hope that helps.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - itinerary

Coach cruise fly is the ultimate way to see Milford Sound. The most economic way to do this book a day trip from Queenstown for the coach ride and cruise into the fiords. Competition has driven prices down and for about $150 you can get a luxury glass roof coach into Milford Sound and this includes the $75 cruise.

The secret is not to book your return flight to Queenstown until you arrive in Milford Sound. Ask your coach driver of all the flight options available for that particular day. There is a choice of two Helicopter flights and the fixed wing plane back to Queenstown. Sometimes there is an opportunity to take advantage of the half price standby seats in the small fixed wing plane and they are great value.

Unfortunately some of the tour companies/drivers are unable to offer all these options, but my work often takes me to Milford Sound and I have used these standby half priced seats many times to return to Queenstown.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 22:37
New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - itinerary

Hi. Christchurch has 2 maori culture shows that are open. One is Willowbank that is near the airport. The other is In Ferrymead.

If you are looking for a farmstay try www.petesfarm.co.nz

they give you a sheep shearing demo and farm tour.

6. Re: Help - itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 22:16