We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
701 posts
543 reviews
Save Topic
any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

My wife and I and our eldest son are coming over to New Zealand for most of December, to help celebrate the marriage of our youngest son to a lovely lady in Christchurch.

We will be staying with them for a while, but obviously need to get out of the way for a week around the wedding.

We would like to find a house (2 bedrooms) we can rent, reasonably near to / a shortish drive from, where they live (top end of Barrington Street, near the Southern motorway / Brougham Street.

I’ve been looking on the internet, but the sort of holiday rental places being advertised are all near the sea (New Brighton, Sumner etc.) And are often very expensive…!!!

We’d prefer a house (even with a garden) so we can have them and other friends round for a drink and barbeque – it would be nice to be able to play host ! And more relaxing than a motel.

Can you please give me any suggestions about how I should go about finding somewhere to rent? Should I put an advertisement in the Christchurch Herald? Or are there any better places where I could look for a place or put in an advertisement ?

We’d be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

Rental accomodation in chch is at premum demand due to the affects of the earthquakes. Possibly advertise for a 'house sitting positon to take care of someone house while they begin their holidays. The extra income may well be appreciated as well as the security being taken care of. What one may call a win win situation.

get your son to advertise in the the shopping malls notice board or somewhere like that locally.

best of luck

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
701 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

That's a great idea. Have passed this on. They are both very busy and I'm trying to do all I can to help.

thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,977 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

You definitely need to look for "house sitting" as rental properties would not be suitable due to al the issues with contracts, deposits etc. Definitely going to be a problem as I have similar issues while my house is being repaired.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

Any Idea what dates exactly? I have a place in east Chch and and heading away from Dec 22nd, but I am in East Chch...

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
701 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

Will need to consult with my son, but we are expecting to need to get out of the way between 7th - 14th or 15th December.

So that sounds too early for you.

But thanks for checking with us.

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
210 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

have a look on trademe.co.nz may be worth a look- bit like our 'gumtree' website!

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
701 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

will do - thanks

8. Re: any chance of one week house rental in Chc - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 14:17