We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

Malaysia
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

Does anybody know besides a handcarried baggage can a lady carry a soft material backbag instead of a handbag on Smart Saver Fare flying from Christchurch to Rotorua.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

From their website - In addition to your allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, slimline laptop or duty free goods...

a back-bag doesn't seem to qualify as any of the above, so I would say not. Unless you can sling it over your shoulder like a handbag? And if it carried more than a packet of tissues and a lipstick, it would be classed as hold luggage, weighed and charged accordingly.

Air NZ is usually quite stringent in managing luggage and one piece means one piece. And to be fair to everyone on the plane, the rules are equally applied to everyone.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

I have a standard sized backpack that I take in the cabin of both International and domestic flights and never had a problem with any airline. If your handbag is not TOO large you should be fine. My wife travels with a large handbag and a wheelie cabin sized suitcase and also never been stopped. You women get away with almost murder

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

As along as it's not too big you should be fine- I have a reasonable sized leather handbag that has back pack straps(I wear it on my back to leave my hands free while traveling) and I've always been allowed that as well as my cabin bag(domestic including ss Rot-ChCh) & international. Once on an AirNZ outward bound flight I was asked to fit it inside my cabin bag until I had passed through security but I think that was just a pedantic checker.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

Do you have a jet flight or an ATR/Q300? (3 or 4 figure flight number) The ATR lockers are a bit smaller and they they sometimes get quite strict. Sometimes I wish they would get a bit fussier with the carry on rules. I tried to catch someones over weight bag falling out on opening and I won't do that again it can fall on their head!

5. Re: Air New Zealand Domestic Flight on Baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 22:18