We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
558 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

Hi,

I'm landing in Christchurch at 4pm on Jan 9th and have to leave Christchurch at 1pm the following day. If I came in earlier, I would have taken the Tranz Alpine train trip but it seems like I won't be there in time for that. Essentially I have one evening to spend on anything that's there in Christchurch.

What's the second best (and the third best) thing to do with the given time?

Thanks in advance!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

Definitely go for a walk around the Botanic Gardens (late afternoon//early evening is OK for that as they don't close til sunset.). Punting in the Park runs until at least 5 pm.

If it is wet the Museum is great (right next to the Bot Gardens).

When do you pick up your car? Drive out to Sumner - some nice cafes still open by the beach. You can even walk up the Flowers Track at the end of the beach for stunning views of Chch looking north to Kaikoura & west to the Alps.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
558 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

Thanks as always, Zhuhai. You always seem to be amazingly resourceful. Can't imagine planning this whole trip without significant help from people like you in this forum.

Thanks!

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

The Antarctic Centre is interesting and also a walk around the Cashel Street Shopping area that has just been reopened after the quake but using shipping containers. Absolutely amazing.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

If you walk through the gardens, you could walk down Cashel St to the restarted Mall, and view the power of nature. Then go back for a Punt ride and clear your head.

UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

Hello again!

I agree, if it's good weather go for a walk around Hagley Park/botanical gardens, they are my favourite bit of Christchurch. Also the Willowbank Wildlife Reserve is great if you like animals, and is also a very good place to see kiwis

http://www.willowbank.co.nz/

A bit out of the centre, but has public transport links

Hope that helps

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
558 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

Hi Zhuhai2007, rescued1, NZMike57, Mel_S_UK:

Thanks a million! That was really helpful! Really appreciate your help! Looking forward to my trip!

7. Re: Approx 1/2 a day in Christchurch - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:15