We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

My husband and I will be traveling with my parents, brother, aunt and uncle in January and will be making a 1.5 day stop at Christchurch. We are trying to decide if we should spend the day going on a day trip somewhere such as Arthur's Pass or stay in Christchurch and explore?

Currently our trip is set up as follows: we start in Whakatane (where my husband and I live). From here we fly to Wellington and stay for two nights. Then we are taking the Coastal Pacific Train to Christchurch for a day and a half, then flying to Queenstown where we stay for four days. From Queenstown we are doing day trips to Milford Sound and Tasman Lake in Mt Cook.

Please advise as to what we should do with our 1.5 days in Christchurch. Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

have you considered driving to Queenstown rather than flying? Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook is 4 hours each way (8 hours driving twice on the one road). Driving Chch to Q'town is 7 hours with a bit longer for the side trip to Aoraki.

Then you could go Wellington - train to Chch - explore one day - drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook - Tasman Lake (which is lovely - drive to Q'town...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,893 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

You have a lot of driving already planned. If you want a day trip I'd suggest going no further than Akaroa; but I also agree with WL that driving Chch-Mt Cook-Queenstown makes a lot more sense than flying CHC-ZQN and driving QTN-Mt Cook-QTN !

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

We had already booked flights from Chch to Queenstown already (much earlier, prior to fully planning our itinerary) so at this point if we want to see Mt Cook we we have to do the day trip to either from Chch or Qtown...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

There are 7 people traveling total so we had to book things far in advance as January flights and hotels tend to go quickly we were told. Now that is put a bit of a crick in our plans since we have flights already booked that cannot be changed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,893 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

In that case I'd leave Mt Cook for another trip and spend the day around QTN. If you haven't booked your accommodation consider 2 nights in Te Anau & an easy drive to Milford Sound.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

i'd head to Akaroa for a day, it's a little town with a French twist. Stop at French Farm winery on the way and enjoy a few drinks and the views, if you're into cheese then a stop at Barrys Bay cheese factory is also recommended.

In Akaroa you can go out for a harbour cruise or swim with dolphins, or just enjoy excellent fish & chips by the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

thank you for all the help! If we spent a half or full day in Chch what should we do there? I read the center of the town is still roped off?

Edited: 30 November 2011, 00:09
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,893 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

There are several threads listing all the stuff that is open:

Antarctic Centre

Willowbank Wildlife Park

Botanic Gardens

Punting on the Avon

Visit the Restart Container Mall

Drive to Sumner for a walk on the beach.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

While a good size chunk of the central business district is still inside the cordon, there is more and more open all the time. A walk around the rrestart Mall will give you some good pictures of where the devistation was. While there is no longer rubble laying around you will get an exellent appreciation of natures power.

10. Re: 1.5 days in Christchurch, should we do a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:41