We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 December 2011 Quake

Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
23 December 2011 Quake

seeing reports of a 5.8 quake about 22km from Christchurch. We are praying for everyone's well being and safety.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,390 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

Cheers K :)

Initial reports say there is no serious injury.

I missed the quake but have just arrived home and felt the major after-shock, thought to be as powerful as the earlier quake. And I live over 400kms from Chch!

Best wishes to all those affected.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 02:35
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,513 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

All our wishes to you guys across the ditch for a peaceful and still Christmas & New Year.

cheers

helen

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

Hope everyone is okay and hope that this most recent quake doesn't put travellers off from visiting.

I am still looking forward to my 2012 New Zealand trip, starting in Christchurch in late January - can't wait!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

Thank you for your thoughts everyone. A bit of a shake up - again! - but no serious injuries so plenty to be thankful for.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

D amage is more emotional than physical! Nothing that clean underwhere could not fix! :) Driving around it hard to see any further damage as most at risk buildings have been removed. It certainly endorses the action of CERA (earth quake recovery authority) in taking radical action to clear stuff away.

You have to feel for those folks in the East digging out silt for 5th time.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

Not just the east, Mike. I have more liquefaction and I hadn't finished digging out the last lot!! I'm in the NW!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

Oh dear Zhuhai, I am sorry about that!

While there is not a lot of "spectacular" damage a lot of householder have had significant damage to their homes with many new red stickers around. Also I think the resilience has gone and the overal mood is quite depressed this time. I think we all thought it was over and we have been reminded that it's not.

8. Re: 23 December 2011 Quake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:16