We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Topic
Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Hi folks,

I noted that earthquakes are becoming more frequent around Christchurch area. We are scheduled to fly out of Christchurch Airport in April 2012.

Any suggestions on where to put up 3 nights before our flight home?? We will be driving in from Timaru. How far away from city centre is considered safe?

Thanks for the advice. Cheers!!

Mentioned in this post
Timaru
Timaru
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

One of the best features of Invercargil is the road out! I travelled there 15 time a year for 10 years. It's a great place to do business and thepeople are friendly. The place humms when there is rugby or netball. However the ecconomy is based on meat, aluminium and rural support. It is not a holiday destination. Go there for a particular event.

Don't be put off visiting Christchurch. There is no better place to see the power of nature and how a city is rebuilt. Any doubtful building is down or is fenced off. Visiting is probably safer than crossing the road. If you are here for an aftershock, think of it as an experience.

Where else can you party in a shipping container?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Just stay on the West of the city. It's largely unaffected by the shakes. Lots of hotels out by the airport or motels in and around Riccarton.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

couple of thoughts re the itinerary you posted.

Golden Bay - make sure you have two full days there - heaven on earth. I have a week there every summer - ( 24 more sleeps til there again - 2 or 3 of them in Chch )

Westport-Greymouth - short drive, not sure how you will fill a whole day, even allowing for Punakaiki (pancake rocks) viewing/walk, Staying in P which is much close to Greymouth certainly makes filling the next day even harder......suggestion, the drive north of Westport to Karamea is really scenic...lots of small bush or beach walks, great oceans views, and whilst there is only limited accommodation both in, and on the road to Karamea somewhere along that way might be an alternative to the Westport overnight stop.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

nothing wrong with being curious re Invercargil, but maybe think one night definite, one maybe, and if you move on after one, an extra day in/around Dunedin would be easy to fill.

By April accommodation shouldnt be an issue, prebooking more a convenience than nescessity.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 09:51
Christchurch
Level Contributor
21 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

I agree with Zhuhai, not much going on in Invercargill itself, and the Caitlins area is beautiful. Worth at least a day of exploring.

If you do stop at Punakaiki, try and plan your visit to coincide with the best tides because the blowholes can be pretty spectacular. (Ask someone at the time).

I live in Christchurch, and these days I am enjoying seeing the way little cafes and shops are popping up in the most interesting and imaginative ways, in interesting places. Stay on the West side of town, the airport or Riccarton area would be handy to dropping family off for flights, and are all functioning as normale and easy for heading to Hanmer.

I'm wondering why you are staying in Picton rather than Nelson? Lots more to do and see in Nelson. Picton is pretty but Nelson has beach, vineyards, art and craft, lots of great food...just a lot more happening than Picton.

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

I will be traveling to New Zealand Christchurch on Feb 2012. Please advise the best car rental company with reasonable price, car condition and services. Is insurance necessary?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,684 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Social, this is a new question so suggest you start a new thread to get the best answers.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Hi dev 1236,

Yes, we'll be staying 2 nights in Golden Bay. I have 3 questions:-

1. is the weather generally good in April for our stay in G. Bay?

2. is there a road along the north-west coast from G. Bay to Karamea, or

must we drive down to Westport and only then up to Karamea?

3. how long does it take to drive from Westport to Karamea?

Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Hi JillMM,

We'll be driving from Hanmer Springs, so we thought we need to stop in Picton, rather than Nelson. We're actually going to be staying in Anakiwa, near Picton.

Thanks for the tip on the blowholes in Punakaiki.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Hanmer Springs
Hanmer Springs
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Earthquake a frequent occurrence, so where to stay??

Hi NZMike 57,

Thanks for the info on Invercargill. Will relook into our schedule. By the way, is the weather in Invercargill ok in April?

Cheers!