We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Hi all,

Need some advice, I am planing to bring my family for a trip to nz at early June. Now am wondering should I drive or take the tranzalpine train from christchurch to greymouth. Will there be any snow on the road during that period? Thanks.

Regards,

Sam

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Welcome to the forum Sam :)

The train trip would be lovely with fresh snow on the surrounding mountains.

There might be snow on the road, it is unlikely, but still possible. At this stage it is far too early to predict.

Even if there is no snow the road could be icy. Best not to drive before 10am and after dark.

personally? I would take the train.

Best of luck :)

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Thanks WanakaLakes.. :)

Valencia
Level Contributor
21 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

I was lucky to do that some years ago at the end of July with snow on the way to Greymouth and I really liked that, wonderful views and a stop at Arthur's Pass to play with the snow ;)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

June often produces snow, no two years are alike, at time snow can be during May as many as 4 times for the month.

There is also coach services between Christchurch and Greymouth where you may get to see more snow particularily at the summit of the two passes. the train travels through a tunnel so misses out on the specticle of the alpine passes.

if you choose to drive, make sure that you have chains with your car, that you have been shown how to fit them, and you take notice of all instructions by road crew

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Thanks all for the advice :)

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

I have not been using snow chains before, just wondering whether if the weather is clear and fine (with no snow on the road), should I remove the the chains or just leave it there? And what is the speed (km/h) can the car go with the chain on? Thanks.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Hi there, you must never use chains on a road with no snow on it. Realistically if you have to fit chains the road conditions will be such that you should not be exceeding 20 kilometres per hour.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Thanks. Points noted :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

as soon as you are clear of snow or ice, it is time to remove the chains, however by teh time you ge to the next pass you may need to refit them. do not drive faster than 50 k ph

keep an eye on the forecast, and chances are the roads will be clear, but as i said earlier, make sure you have cjhins with you.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Greymouth at early June

Thanks again, for the kind reply. :)