We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

Sad news for Christchurch & the whole SI. This flight has contributed enormously to an increase in Asian visitors, especially Malaysians at a time when other countries' visitor numbers are down.

nelson, new zealand
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

Huge blow for NZ tourism & travellers. There goes our trip to SE Asia next year :(

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

.... And my cheap trip home in July ;(

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

I have been waiting for any update about this issue since I saw reports last week about the plans of AA to cut its CHC route. Our flight to SI is not affected since we will be flying in and out of CHC this March and April. However, I was already planning to go back around October or November to see the other sites which we will not be able to visit during our first trip.

Sad day for travelers looking for more affordable flights to NZ.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

One of the fastest ways to make a small fortune is to take a large fortune and buy an airline! It just shows that discounted air fares are not sustainable and just lead to lay offs, trimmed wages etc. We may have to accept that we need to pay a realistic price or stay home.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

I am all for discounted air fares because it allows more people to travel and thats good for all. Its sad to see Air Asia pull out of Chch and those cheap fares to KL have resulted in me wanting to go back to Malaysia.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

It is very sad, It was reported today that the New Zealand economy has benefited by 60million since the flights started, on a positive note it was also in the report that airport officials are negotiating with 3 other airlines to fill the spot left by Airasia here hoping

cheers john

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to cheap airfares at all. Quite the reverse. Next week I have a $39 fare CHCH to Wgtn. I am also dissapointed to see an option removed.

I do wonder what sort of incentives Christchurch ratepayers are paying, perhaps cheap landing fees, to have these airlines call. We forget that any business including airlines is out to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that. However somewhere along the line someone is paying for it. My "share" of the cost of getting that plane to Wellington must be more than $35.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

It has been reported that the fuel increases were a major impact on its lack of profit

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

I personally have been looking at Birmingham Uk to Chch flights for November for the last two months and they are constantly over the £1k mark.

I originally wanted to go over in Feb of this year, flights then were just around £800. I wonder if the Air Asia pullout has taken away the competition factor?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia X to pull out of Chch!

1Ksounds like a bargain for a summer fare, assuming it is return. I paid nearly that just for HKG to LHR last summer and then nearly the same again for HKG to AKL.

Get answers to your questions about Christchurch