We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Hi,

My husband & I are planning to bring along our 4yrs old daughter to visit NZ by self-driving this winter, from 14th June to 24th June.

As it is going to b our first visit, can anyone recommend some kids-friendly itinerary & give some suggestions on road planning?

Thank u very much =)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Welcome to the forum :)

There are many 10 day itineraries posted here on the forum which go Chch to Q'town to Chch. Take a look and see what appeals.

Once you know where you want to go post it here for our comments.

Happy planning :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Dear Wanakalekes,

I've look thru previous forum posts but not many mentioned travelling in winter & with kids friendly itinerary =(

I just need suggestions for places to go with kids, eg: my first stop may be Pete's farm, given the fact that SG does not have farm stay like this =(.

I would also hope that I can actually drive from christchurn 2 Q'town then christchurch within my 10days though if not possiblr, I can still do without CC, just wanna take things slow & easy with skiing & viewing of real snow possible.

Can any New Zealanders pls help?

Tk u so much!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

One possibility

1 arrive Chch

2 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

3 drive to Wanaka

4 explore

5 drive to Queenstown

6 explore

7 drive to Dunedin

8 explore

9 drive to farm stay

10 drive to Chch, fly home

Hope this helps. Once you have confirmed your intinerary we can help fill in what to do. Each location here has ample kid-friendly activitites.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

You may also want to stop at Tekapo, there is great skiing at Round Hill - not at sophisticated as the big fields but good skiing & brilliant views. There is also the Tekapo Springs hotpools & ice skating. The small towns of Geraldine & Fairlie are worth a stop at for a break from driving and a bite to eat/drink. Have a great trip

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

My experience travelling with small kids (many years ago, thank goodness) is that it takes very little to amuse them, but they get bored very easily. Also, there are not many activities which appeal to both 4yo's and adults.

So my advice is to plan your trip around what interests you, and schedule plenty of stops to let your daughter get rid of some pent up energy.

Most towns have kids playgrounds, although they are not always easy to find. Mc Donalds in Ashburton has a kids playground, and they serve good coffee, even if you don't feel like eating.

From Ashburton you should head to Geraldine; this is the quickest route to the McKenzie country / Mt Cook. There is a park on your left as you go through Geraldine. I'm sure I've seen swings & slides etc there. The next town is Fairlie. There's a local museum there which is worth a look. Not too intersting for a 4yo, but the collection of old vehicals etc might interest you.

It's years since I've been in to Mt Cook; the terminal lake wasn't even there, and the Hermitage was still owned by the THC. I understand the Sir Edmund Hillary Museum is excellent, and the boat trip on the lake, by all accounts, is well worth doing. I don't imagine kids would be to impressed by mountains.

In Wanaka, visit Puzzling World, a maze and puzzle centre. Also the Doll and Aircraft museum at the Wanaka airfield. It's a strange combination, but the Doll and Model collection kept my wife enthralled for almost 3 hours, while I looked at the more interesting stuff in the other display buildings.

To give you some idea of travelling time. To drive from Christchurch to Queenstown non stop takes 6 hours. This bypasses Mt Cook, which is about a 45 minute diversion from the main route.

ChCh - Ashburton 1 hour

Ashburton - Tekapo 1hr-30 mins

Tekapo - Mt Cook 1hr 15 mins

Mt Cook - Wanaka 2hr 30mins

Wanaka - Queenstown 1hr 30mins

I know this comes to more than 6 hours, but I used the T&D calculator, which is fairly conservative, and probably allows for breaks to let your daughter blow off some steam.

Hope you have a great holiday in our lovely country.

Edited: 06 April 2012, 02:53
Mentioned in this post
Ashburton
Ashburton
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Geraldine
Geraldine
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Dear Friends,

I have roughly planned my itinerary. Pls give advises.

Day 1) arrive CC, collect car, drive & check-in to Pete's Farm.

Day 2) drive to Lake Tekapo, check-in Peppers bay, explore

Day 3) Lake Tekapo to Twizel, The Black Stily, salmon farm

havent decide where to check-in

Day 4) Twizel to Queenstown, havent decide on where to check-in, prob near ski places. wineries.

Day 5) Ski @Queenstown

Day 6) Ski @Queenstown

Day 7) Queenstown -alexandra- dunedin, explore

Day 8) dunedin -omaru- timaru, explore

Day 9) timaru- ashburton - CC

Day 10) CC, orana wildlife park, last min shopping

Day 11) CC to Singapore.

Do u think this is possible? can u reccommend a kids friendly skiing place in Queenstown? Is the Orana wildlife park worth going? which wineries are worth gg?

Tks a million! =)

Wellington, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

Have just done a week long trip with kids aged 3 and 7 from dunedin to queens town/wanaka to oamaru to christchurch. We tended to stay at holiday parks mainly so the kids could play with other kids at the playground. Butterfly enclosure at discovery world in Dunedin was great, penguin colony at oamaru was ok, Antarctic centre next to Christchurch airport was a hit, Kingston flyer a hit too and walking along the waterfront in queenstown eating ice cream watching the boats was great too. If we had more time the gondolas in queenstown and Christchurch would have been good too.

Edited: 12 April 2012, 09:22
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

If you have time to stop by Wanaka, I'd highly recommend it. It's absolutely gorgeous out there. And if you have a young child, she would probably quite enjoy The Puzzling World as you enter Wanaka through the main highway (just on your left, and well signposted). It does however, mean that you'll have to detour a bit. But it's not a hugely long drive between Wanaka and Q-town.

9. Re: Driving from Christchurch to Queenstown to Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 21:15