We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Does anyone know of any hotels with 2 x dbl beds? the choices are very bad especially city hotels closed.

I really regret booking flights now.

There are hardly any choices in Methven either and they are ridiculously expensive for more than 2 people.

Whereas there are so much accommodation in queenstown, wanaka all competing for business with rates <$100 and many big rooms with 2 x dbl beds.

We arrive 2/7 midnight and leave 9/7 at 7am which only leaves us 6 days. Our option of flying to queentown is too expensive (no cheap fares) and driving would leave us with 4 days only.

But if we stay in Mt Hutt/Christchurch, our accommodation bill is about $250 p/night. Way too expensive for the hotels which is only $100 when it's not ski season.

Only thing is Mt Hutt has a great deal for kids ski free, stay free, eat free etc but the stay free is BS because you have to pay loads for the triple/family rooms anyway. If it's truly stay free, we should get a free upgrade to family rooms.

Sorry for the rant. Would love a recommendation for a hotel/area to stay within 30 to 45mins of Mt Hutt? not christchurch but not Methven either...I am just not familiar with the area.

Also, can someone tell me how long it takes from methven to mt hutt?

or should we skip it altogether and visit the coastal route to blenheim and ski at Hanmer Springs? much more hotel options at affordable prices.

Timaru, New Zealand
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Ashburton is quite close. Perhaps you could try for something there. I've not stayed anywhere there though so can't recommend anywhere specific sorry.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Sujejo, welcome to the NZ Forum. You need to realise that you are comparing two very different markets. Queenstown is a major tourist centre that has a very large number of beds because it has two tourist seasons, summer AND winter. Times are tough and they must be competitive. Methven is a very small country town with very little tourist trade outside the ski season so there is no reason for big hotels to build there. You are better to look for a motel that will accommodate your family in 2 bedrooms or 1 bdr + beds in the living room.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

yes thank you, we have toured sth island before but since this is mainly just a skiing holiday, i thought it would be easier to just go to methven.

i regret not choosing queenstown now.

motels are $200+ a night and some are already fully booked. thank you i will have a look at ashburton but i believe there isn't much there.

has anyone been to hanmer ski?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Stacy H's suggestion of Ashburton is rather a good one. You could also try places like Darfield or Rakaia. Skiing at Hamner (2 field) is pleasant enough but they are not sophisticated fields. Similarly there are several ski fields on the Arthurs Pass road. Mt Cheeseman, Temple Basin, Porters Pass etc and places to stay in AP, Sheffield or Springston.

I would have though a bit of time on the phone would deliver a suitable motel etc in Christchurch for $150.

Few Kiwi would stay in Hotels, we generally go for motels/cabins in the winter. If you were a hardy lot you could try a motor home in the Mt Hutt car park.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

try the apartments at Terrace Downs.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Try www.check-in.co.nz/rg-2-hoteldetails.asp…

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Take a look at www.wotif.com for discounted motels and also consider backpacker hostels. Many have rooms which sleep 4 at very affordable rates, some with ensuite bathroom.

Or if you change your mind and want to fly to Queenstown then check airfares on grabaseat - though the best fares might be gone as the sooner you book, the better the discount http://grabaseat.co.nz/

best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

Have a look at www.bookabach.co.nz. There are at least 2 properties in the Methven area showing available and around $100 per night for the property.

9. Re: Christchurch and Mt Hutt hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:41