We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Hi. I'm leaving for a solo tour of the S. Island in 2 weeks. I arrive for an overnight in Christchurch on Sat around 3PM. I'm staying at the Sudina Airport Hotel. Any recommendations on what to do with my afternoon and evening? I would like to see some of the town if possible - wander around a bit - get a meal - maybe a little shopping - I love food and craft markets. What would be the best mode of transpo to get into town?

Thanks!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Head down to Hagley park in the centre of Christchurch - a beautiful park with a lovely English feel, the Eastern end has got the botanic gardens which is also near the Art centre - a lovely old building. There is also some pop-up shops which is a definite feature of Christchurch at the moment! Since the EQ these are some shops setup in shipping containers, sounds cheap but it is done amazingly and is great to just walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Transport into town would be either bus or taxi. Taxi should only be about $20 or so and a 10 min ride.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,102 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Red bus from the airport costs $7.50 and takes about 20 minutes. If it is a nice day definitely head for the Botanic Gardens and perhaps the Riccarton Bush.

You may have time for punting in the park, but remember it gets dark very early at this time of year.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Unfortunately, your timing misses the nearby Saturday markets. (Most of these close about 2pm) There are other markets on Sunday but sounds like you are moving on then.

Riccarton Road is probably your best choice for a wide selection of restaurants and takeaways (& movie theatre in the Riccarton Mall). Just be aware that the days are still quite short so it starts getting dark (and cold!) by around 5pm. Dress warmly when you go out.

The International Antarctic Centre is an obvious choice since it is only across the other side of your hotel carpark. But it closes at 5pm so you may not get the full value of your ticket price.

For food, though it may not seem too exotic, the Christchurch Airport actually does have quite a good array of eating places within the departures area. The prices there don't seem to be as inflated as they often are in airports.

It is worth checking out 'What's On" type websites such as Eventfinder for your arrival dates. There may be a show or festival happening on that day which may be of interest to you. Good luck and hope you have a great time on your trip.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One afternoon and evening - what to do?

Thanks chch2010, zhuhai2007 and Joan for your posts and advice. That all sounds perfect. Will probably head into town and see the gardens, check out a few of the containers. Joan, when I was reading the posts in here a lot of them mention the Riccarton Road area.

Cheers!

Walter

5. Re: One afternoon and evening - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:17