We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire in kaikoura

australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
car hire in kaikoura

does anyone know a car hire company whre we can pick up a car in Kaikoura New Zealand.??? ive been searching but cant find anything.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire in kaikoura

Im not aware of any companies sorry, I would suggest you take train/bus or shuttle to Picton where there are plenty of options.

australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire in kaikoura

someone told me i need a car to get around Kaikoura??/ what about car hire in Blenheim/

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire in kaikoura

Kaikoura is so big if you blink twice quickly you may miss it. Apart from whale watching which is at the station and the seals I am not aware of any reason to look around Kaikoura other than a coffee stop en route north or south.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire in kaikoura

Kaikoura is generally a through destination rather than terminal one. Most travellers either bus through or hire a car at either Picton, Nelson, or Christchurch, depending where you are coming from and how.

As Beanb41 says, not much else to do there apart from the marine tours. The coastal scenery along the way is interesting but apart from a couple of iconic roadside cafes and seafood takeaways, that's about it.

There is the daytime seal pup hangout at Ohau waterfall, which is about 27km north of Kaikoura. Worthy of a visit, if you are on your way past.

Most car hire companies have a limited number of pickup/dropoff sites. Any variation, if available, usually attracts a significant extra cost.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 07:39
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,582 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire in kaikoura

On a nice day it is a nice village. There are a couple of petrol staions, an excellent choice of cafes and a pub or two. There is a nice walking track, around the south bay and the seal colony at Ohau point 15 minutes north. most off the shops sell either food or bits to fix broken stuff on boats, caravans or the many holiday homes. Regular holiday makers would be into fishing or lazing around.

6. Re: car hire in kaikoura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:15