We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

Hi, my husband and I arrive in Christchurch from the UK in Feb for our first visit to New Zealand. We have narrowed our choice of motel down to two but they are in different areas either Riccarton Ave or Colombo St any guidance as to which area to stay in? We would like to be able to walk to the Botanical Gardens and to get something to eat as we don't pick our hire car up until the following day.

Many thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

A lot depends on what time you arrive as to weather or not you will have time to walk anywhere.

Riccarton Rd has a lot of accomodation and is resonably close to Riccarton mall, the south island's largest shopping mall. some accomoodatin is close to hagley Park, others (the bigger numbers0 are a long way away. Chch has a very good urban bus service and a lot run a long Riccarton Rd.

As for accomodation in Columbo st, yes there is some, it isnt close to anything, and close to a lot of the damaged CBD, again depends on whewre it is as Columbo st runs from the port hill, right through the square through to Bealey ave plus a little more.

my choice for you would be to reccomend Riccarton Rd, however as it is a popular area, bok as soon as you are able

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

Thanks for the quick reply, we arrive mid afternoon which should give us sometime to look around although that will depend on the jet lag. The accommodation on Colombo Street is called Centrepoint on Colombo below Bealey Ave.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,503 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

I agree that there is more choice of restaurants in the Riccarton area, but as you didn't give the name or address we can't tell how close you are to Hagley Park/Botanic Gardens. Personally I prefer Merivale/Papanui Rd (but that is "home" for me!!).

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

H,i the motel on Riccarton Ave is called the Amore Motor Lodge, We are just looking for somewhere quiet within walking distance of places to eat and to be able to explore Christchurch on foot. We are now thinking of spending 2 nights in Christchurch to give us more time to recover from the journey before driving and to explore the city.

5. Re: first night in Christchurch guidance needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:16