We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch

Hi, Just after some advice about staying in Christchurch. I understand about the 'Red Zone' and there is a lot of demolition and rebuilds happening in the CBD so I'm in a bit of confusion on where to stay as we have 1 night on arrival & thinking of staying 2 on depature.

We arrive into Christchurch at 4pm end of March 2013 and will need to stay somewhere before venturing on the following day, would you recommend just an airport motel for this night?

Before we fly out I was thinking of staying 2 nights: we will be driving either from either Queenstown or Fox Glaciers so will get there late stay the night and then have a whole day exploring Christchurch the next day, stay a 2nd night before flying out at 2 the following day.

What are your thoughts on this and where would you stay for the 2 nights??

TIA

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch

It doesn't take long to get to the airport from anywhere on the western half of Christchurch. It isn't a congested or very large airport.

You need to book well in advance because the lodgings that haven't been affected are usually full.

We stayed one night at the Commodore near the airport-it was comfortable and clean, obviously business oriented. We stayed for 4 nights at the Belmont, which was an excellent value, clean and comfortable, and easy access to the CBD or the airport with several good restaurants nearby.

I do think Christchurch is worth exploring-but we only stayed so long because of an unexpected surgery. The Belmont had a kitchenette so it was nice to fix simple meals.The airport hotel was a little more out of the way for everything except the Antarctic Center(which is worth visiting) and the Airport.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,102 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch

I agree that an Airport Motel would be best for an overnight rest and rental car pick-up the next day. Most of the second tier rental car companies have their depots near the airport, in the Wairakei Rd/Harewood area. Many will do accommodation pick-ups if you ask.

If you do end up spending 2 nights in Chch on your return then location is not so important - Riccarton Rd motels are close to shopping & the lower numbers are within walking distance of Hagley Park. Merivale/Papanui Rd has some good restaurant options too.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch

I never thought much of Christchurch before the earthquake and a recent visit confirmed that it's not a place I would recommend spending a whole lot of time. Consider heading out to Akaroa instead and then heading to the airport from there rather than Chch proper.

An airport hotel on arrival would be better. I recently stayed in the centre and when I asked for recommendations for a restaurant (admittedly at 9.30pm), I was told that they;d all be closed.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch

Who did you ask about the restaurants? There is a buzzing cafe and bar scene in Christchurch. While they are not grouped together the way they were around trhe strip there is plenty of choice.

While Akaroa is worth a visit it is a sleepy village an hours drive from town.

I agree with Zhuhai. I would pick a motel on either Riccarton Rd or Papanui Rd. Both of these areas are within a 15 minute drive to the airport and have a range of cafes, bars etc.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch

Thanks everyone for your feedback

6. Re: Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 06:19