We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filling in the early hours of the morning.

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Filling in the early hours of the morning.

Hello all,

I arrive into chc airport on sunday morning. It is too early to knock on the door of someone whom I have come to see.

My idea is to find a way to the city centre, go walk about, then head off to that someone's place.

I think there will be a bus that will take me from airport to chc city centre.

Q - from the city centre, how can I get to the Northwood area by public transport. I am trying to economise [this is the early hours of a Sunday morning, so I would think regular buses will be a bit thin on the ground].

Thanks.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

what time of the morning do you consider 'early'

if the public buses arent running, then a shuttle from infront of the international arrivals hall may be your next cheapest option, probably around $20.00 depending on where you want to go to.. If it is really early like just after middnight, how about booking into a back packers and get some sleep first?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

The Rangiora buses (Route B) all go past Northwood I do remember taking one early on a Sunday morning once when going tramping, but my "early" was probably around 7:30 am! The metroinfro schedule shows the firs bus on a Sunday leaves Central Station at 7:00 am.

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

plane scheduled to land in chc @5am, sunday.

looking from suggestions, its best to stay at the airport until more sane hours and find my way to the city and thence to northwood area.

thanks all for your good thoughts.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

Hi,

By the time you clear customs and immigration and the luggage carousel it will not be so early. I would take a shuttle into town, find a nice place to have breakfast then take a bus to you friends place.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

OZRCFlyer gives sound advice. the first bus on route 3from the Airport to the city on a Sunday is at 6:33 am and the next at 7:00. Allowing a max of 1hr to go through CQI you should be at Central Station by 7:05 am. I've no idea what time the coffee carts open on a Sunday!!

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

Thanks to all for suggestions/alternatives. On the Sunday, @5am, many of the shops in the upstairs foodcourt were opened. I took to walking the whole length and breath of chc airport, then sat down for a coffee and a piece of toast. While comtemplating state of my nails(!), gotten a call from the person I had come to visit and gotten picked up.

All is well that ends well.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

Thanks for the update, I hope you are enjoying Christchurch and New Zealand

8. Re: Filling in the early hours of the morning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:17