We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Christchurch

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Christchurch

We will be arriving in Christchurch from Sydney around midnight in October and spending two nights in Christchurch before taking the TranzAlpine train to Greymouth.

We plan to spend a day sightseeing but are unsure where to stay - airport area or cbd?

Given the late arrival should we stay near the airport for just one night (or two nights) or go into the city nearer the train station?

Any suggestions welcome.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

There are plenty of places to stay near the airport and since you are arriving so late that is probably the best option for your first night. But for the second night go into the CBD. There is still some accommodation available there and there is nothing to see near the airport unless you are into animals and visit Orana Wild Life Park. The pop up centre in Cashel Street (a shopping precinct of shipping containers pending the rebuild) is something you wouldn't see anywhere else and Hagley Park is still well worth a wander especially as it will be spring.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

I assume you'll have a car?

I personally wouldn't change hotels for just two nights, Christchurch isn't very big.

Suggest you take a look at Merivale Manor - close to the city, yet easy access to/from the airport . You'd probably need to make arrangements to collect the key afterhours, and be warned, the units that face the road can be noisy (road noise), but that's the case for quite a few motels in Christchurch.

http://www.merivalemanor.com/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

There are several hotels now open in the CBD, (IBIS & Novotel iirc) which is only 15 minutes from the Airport so I think you'd be better off heading straight into town by Supershuttle and waking up to a walk in the Botanic Gardens and around the riverbank. New Regent St has reopened too so there is more to see now.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

Hi,

No argument with the great advice from the others but there is a paucity of accommodation in Christchurch post earthquake. Book early.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

In fact most of the newly opened hotels in the CBD are reporting quite low occupancy rates during the low season. This was reported in response to AirNZ's plans to increase direct flights to Queenstown over the winter. They are feeling the loss of conference facilities acutely.

Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think the cbd would be the best option for our 2-night stay given that we won't have a car on this occasion. However I wasn't sure that the airport shuttles met the after midnight flights or even that taxis were available at that time of night but I will check out the supershuttle and see what they offer.

I live in Canberra and the last time we arrive on a midnight flight there wasn't a taxi to be found so had to call a friend to pick us up, so much for living in the capital!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

You'll find Chch is a little more sophisticated than Canberra!! (I do love 'berra tho).

Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

Have to agree with you in respect of airline services - we have to go to Sydney to catch an international flight - how ridiculous is that and airlines never seem to include Canberra in their special deals ... oh well can't have everything in the capital I guess!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

Hi, Taxis and Super Shuttle are obligated to be at the airport to meet all incoming flights. That said it wouldn't be a bad idea to pre-book the Super Shuttle service that way they know you are coming.

By October you will have a small selection of hotels within the CBD, being Ibis, Rendezvous, Novotel and The George. Plus some good B&B's and Motels. Accommodation is still tight however so as advised book early.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Christchurch

Hello morris80, sorry that i have to hijack your forum ya..

I'm also looking for a hotel to stay for 2 nights in early October. I will be travelling into christchurch from Queenstown, by bus. I'm looking for a hotel that convenience for us to do a one day sightseeing on day 2 and easy to get to airport the next morning.

Thanks all