We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

Hi all, it's so hard to get more than a week off from my work. So knowing that, I am thinking of visiting my sister in Christchurch - but i also want to see Aukland and Australia as well. Will this be too crazy for one week trip? I like to see stuff and never complain about tiring as long as I get to see what I am hoping to see ;-)

1. What's the best way to get to Aukland from Christchurch?

2. What's the city of Australia that's close to those two cities that I am going to?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

Yes, think it wouldn't be doing any of them justice. Closest Australian cities with most direct links from NZ would be Sydney and Melbourne. The only way for you in this time frame to get from Auckland to Christchurch is to fly.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

I might let Australia go. Looks like you cannot drive or bus to those cities, you will have to fly. So if I take out OZ, what other ways to go from Christchurch to Auckland besides flying?

Oz
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

Hi,

You could always swim but the ferry is probably quicker and safer.

Cheers,

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

I hope you like plane travel because you are going to be seeing the inside of a lot of planes and airports. In answer to your question yes, I do think this is crazy for a one week trip. New Zealand and Australia have a lot to offer if you take the time to visit.

California
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

You cross the international date line traveling to and from the USA to New Zealand. So if your flight leaves on Saturday, you arrive on Monday. That leaves you with Tuesday though Saturday (5 full days, 6 nights) to actually see the country (countries) before catching your flight back home on Sunday.

If you want to fly into Christchurch and rent a car and drive to Auckland, it could be done, but will require a lot of driving to do so. It's probably the way to see the most in the time you have, but not the best bits. Mostly you'll see the highway.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

the best scenery is south of Chch, so driving Chch to Auckland you miss all the best bits. Plus it would be rushed.

With one week to explore you are best to stay in Chch. The first couple of days you will be getting over jet lag, then before you know it 5 days have flit by and it's time to leave again.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

in relative terms its like going to Michigan and California. Australia is another country and a minimum of 3 hours flight away, but then you have to go through customs, departures and check in at least 2 hours prior. Why would you. In one week just base out of NZ rather than spending the whole time in airports and travelling and then seeing very very little.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

I do suggest you talk to your sister in Chch. Im sure she has many good suggestions as well. But from

christchurch I would go to Hanmer or Mt Cook. Akaroa. It depends on time of the year and your interests. Wineries, food, shopping, scenery, outdoors, adventure, skiing, water sports?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

My sister doesn't enjoy traveling like me. In fact, she told me she never been to the beach there. I was shocked! What I enjoy is city atmosphere, beach/ocean, snorkeling, surfing, tourist attractions... based of these, are there anything nearby Chch to do/see?

Are there any other cities near by chch that's worth a visit?

California
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christchurch, Aukland and Australia

Kaikoura is a small town about 2.5 hours north of Christchurch. The coastline is gorgeous and if you are out on the peninsula, you look across the bay and see snow-covered mountains. There are a few seal colonies out that way. If you want a real adventure, take the tourboat out and swim with dolphins, or stay dry and do a whale-watching tour. If not wanting a tour, head a bit north to Ohau Point - theres a lively seal colony there and further up the road is a waterfall where the sealpups play.

North of that is the Marlborough region where there are dozens of wineries, and a pretty darn good chocolate shop. When heading back to Christchurch, head inland to Hanmer Springs. It's a pretty little alpine town, has a very popular hot pool complex, and many great hikes in the area. You can even bungee jump or do a jetboat there.

I'm suggesting the above as a 2-3 day itinerary.

If you head the other direction from Christchurch, you can to go Akaroa. It's a waterside village that's very quaint, and only about 1.5 hours from Christchurch.