We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Christchurch from July 16th through the 20th. We really want to see Lake Pukaki and the surrounding areas because it looks absolutely stunning. We are renting a car while in Christchurch, but we aren't sure whether or not the drive from Christchurch to Lake Pukaki will be affected by the winter weather at all. I haven't been able to find much on the net about this drive in the winter time. Would love to know what exactly to expect on the roads during July...snow, ice, or neither so that I can make a decision on whether or not to just book with a tour guide instead. Thanks!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

it is really no big deal. just don't leave too early and you will be fine. snow only closes the road from time to time and generally at might

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,772 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

Impossible to predict the weather 9 days ahead in NZ. Keep a close eye of the forecast and make sure your car has chains and you know how to fit them in case snow comes through during the night. Do you plan to spend more than one night at Mt Cook? Advisable not to leave it until the last day to drive back in case there is snow. The places to watch for on the weather or road forecasts are Burkes Pass and the Mt Cook Access Rd from Pukaki to Mt Cook Village.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

This is a busy, well contructed road. Keeping it open is a priority. There is a chance a "weather bomb" may close it, but there is also a slightly bigger chance a uFO will land on it. The biggest danger is the temptation to drive too fast.

Any disruption will be short lived. It's a really lovely drive. Enjoy it.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

I hope you had a fantastic drive, though when I went there was a very thick fog in the early hours of the morning. After it had cleared up, the weather was stunning!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

Do stay a night or two at Aoraki/Mt Cook, the scenery is stunning and there are many fabulous walks, short or long, to enjoy :)

6. Re: What to Expect: Christchurch to Lake Pukaki Drive in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 07:25