We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport for three hours

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport for three hours

I have three hours at the CHC airport between 11:10 am and 2:40 pm when my shuttle picks me up to head over the alps. I will have luggage from an international flight with me. I will need to get groceries/food supplies, but am probably going to wait until Greymouth to do that; however if there's somewhere feasible around CHC would be up for spending some time at supermarket. Otherwise, any suggestions about how to best use that time? I'll be restless just having flown in from USA to AUCK and then after a short night's motel sleep from AUCK to CHC. Thanks! On a small budget, but a little wiggle room if something is worthwhile in the airport area.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,105 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airport for three hours

The Resatrt Mall is the shopping mall made of shipping containers that replaces the damaged buildings in the CHch CBD. It is a must see for visitors to Chch - includes a couple of cafes.

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=restart+mall&newwindow=1&safe=active&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MDn4UZLgJYvakgXj94CAAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=660

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airport for three hours

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner; traveling on Friday 16th Aug (to CHC). I think I've got it worked out with the shuttle company; but if my flight's delayed or bags take a bit of time I'll be missing the shuttle's dropoff at the airport and will have to fend for myself. Either way, I can manage! I appreciate the suggestions and help.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airport for three hours

If you enjoy a brisk walk, from the Restart centre you could walk past the damaged Cathedral in the Square, the new Transitional (Cardboard) Cathedral and back to the Bus Exchange. While You may not have time for a liesurly coffee this should be achievable. You can catch your breath as you enjoy the Coach ride to the Coast.

You will have caught the flavour of the destruction, felt the positive vibe of the rebuild and followed it with a ride in a comfortable coach through the mountains. What a way to start a trip!

Get your groceries in Greymouth.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airport for three hours

Thanks!!! That sounds like a great plan. I agree; it's a wonderfully refreshing way to start my trip. I can't wait! I appreciate everyone's help.

15. Re: Airport for three hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19