We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mackenzie District...
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

Hi Guys,

Doing a Status Point Run down to Christchurch in two weeks time. My flight arrives at 8.25am and then departs again back north at 7.05pm. I have done a few day trips for status points to Christchurch in the last few years. I am wondering if anyone has any surgestions on what to do to fill in the day. On previous visits i have walked around the city, done the Gondola, Orana Park, Botanic Gardens, Akaroa and the Antarctic Centre.

On other day trips i have caught the Nakedbus to Lake Tekapo and then came back. Another time i flew over to Hokitika and then caught the Atomic Shuttle back over Arthurs Pas. However the flight to Hokitika that i used to catch has been canned in favour of a later afternoon service.

Happy to travel anywhere by bus/shuttle, just needs to fit into my time constraints. Looked at the Atomic Shuttles/Nakedbus/Intercity bus websites to look at timetables to Timaru/Kaikoura ect but they either depart to early, or arrive to late.

Does any Local down there know of any other Shuttle/Bus services that might be able to whisk me off to a place for a day. Is there any other worthwhile attractions in CHC? Just Under 20 so can't hire a car :( Budget is not huge, probably only around $100.

Don't want to spend all day in the Koru Lounge, hoping to get out and explore some more of the South.

Cheers :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

If you haven't been to Chch since the earthquake you would probably enjoy looking at the changes - and trying to remember what used to be in that space.

Mackenzie District...
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

I did one of those Bus Tours around a month ago, it was very interesting. I has been interesting to watch the City change everytime i visit :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

Segway tour of post-earthquake Christchurch? ($99 unless you can score a Grab One deal, I recently saw it advertised for $37, after I booked at full price mind you). Tour leaves from Hagley Park

Take in Quake City at the ReStart Mall ($10)?

Waipara wine tasting (40 minutes from Christchurch)?

Hanmer Springs?

Lyttelton Harbor?

Hike the track at Rakaia Gorge or take a jet boat down the gorge?

Granted, I have no idea of how you'd do any of this via bus, but just thought I'd throw some ideas out there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

I suspect your flight is arriving too late for most day tours - eg Akaroa.

Ther eis always the #3 bus from the airport all the way to its termi us at Sumner Beach - you can climb the hill for stunning views on a clear day across the city to the Alps, or even walk as far as Taylors Mistake.

Mackenzie District...
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

Wow, I must learn to use this website more often. What fabulous replies. I am in contact with a crowd in Hanmer Springs and it looks like a goer time wise. Thanks for your help everyone :-)

6. Re: Christchurch for a Day, suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 06:19