We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

Hi all, we only have 9 days to fit in the highlights of the South Island at the beginning of December.

We are arriving at Chch and thinking of travelling over to Hokitika then down to Queenstown then back across to Dunedin. What are the must dos and where should we travel to each day??? I know a big ask but after looking at itineries I'm even more confused than ever!

Thankyou

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

I should add we are hubby, me and 15 yr old. We love beautiful scenery and activities that are not extreme! We like things historical and also wildlife.....

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

A typical loop around Arthur's Pass, Franz Josef/Fox, Wanaka and Queenstown would suit well in that time-frame. I'd advise not trying to squeeze too much else in - give yourselves time to enjoy those destinations - there is plenty to see and do for nine days! And being from east coast Aus you can always come back for more. :)

For beautiful scenery, Wanaka and the Glenorchy area are highlights, but there is beautiful scenery along the whole route!

For history, Arrowtown, Bannockburn, and Dunedin.

For wildlife, keas at Arthur's Pass and/or the glaciers, walking in the beech forest, and the Otago Peninsula.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

I would normally recommend the west coast / Queenstown / Dunedin loop but there has been a major road slip south of Franz Josef and it may be a while before the road reopens.

Another option is doing a figure of 8. Chch - Oamaru - dunedin -Queenstown -Wanaka- mount cook - Chch and if enough time either chch - hamner - kaikoura or chch to Hokitika and glaciers and return.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

Haast Pass reopened some weeks ago Anniess - it still closes overnight but it isn't a road you would need/want to drive in the dark of night anyway.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

It is closed again. On the news yesterday and it looked like a huge slip

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

it was closed Friday due to a slip.

Transit shows it open again …govt.nz/traffic/…south-island.html

7. Re: 9 day itinerary Christchurch to Dunedin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:16