We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

C W
Nampa, Idaho
2 posts
Save Topic
3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

My husband and I will have from late afternoon on a Sunday in November until that Wednesday afternoon. We've never been and may never get back.....so what are the coolest things to see based out of Christchurch for those 3 days? We enjoy hiking, scenery, and being outdoors mostly. Any help with plans would be appreciated as we're at a loss with so many options and no experience.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

Welcome to the foum CW :)

are you willing/able to drive?

are you wanting to stay always in Chch, or are willing to stay elsewhere?

you could travel to;

Marlborough - wines

Hanmer Springs - hot springs

Aoraki/Mt Cook - our highest mountain and longest glacier

C W
Nampa, Idaho
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

Willing and able to drive. And willing to stay elsewhere, just don't want to spend a majority of the 3 days in transit. Thanks for the help! Also wondering, a young lady I'm acquainted with, and whose family live in New Zealand, said there are quakes in Christchurch and that they had a 4.5 one last week and that perhaps we should consider staying in Akaroa because of the quakes. Any thoughts on that one?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

Akaroa is a pretty little town and lovely place for a relaxing break, but it's a surprisingly long windy drive to get there - it's not a place you'd use as a base for exploring NZ!

You could get down to Mt Cook, but that involves driving right across the Canterbury Plains, which is a relatively long and boring drive. With only three days, I'd suggest staying in Methven. Spend one day exploring the Ashburton Lakes and driving up to Mt Sunday. (The location used for "Edoras" in Lord of the Rings.)

newzealand.com/au/…

On the other day, drive to Castle Hill and Arthur's Pass. At Castle Hill there are interesting rock formations and an easy walk-through cave you can explore if there hasn't been too much rain: castlehill.net.nz/castlehill/…cavestream.php At Arthur's Pass there are several lovely walks, alpine scenery, and keas. :) …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

California
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

The Pacific Alpine triangle. Spend a night in Hanmer Springs. Do area hikes during the day, soak at the thermal pools in the evening. Carry on to Kaikoura and explore the coast, or swim with dolphins, or kayak. There's the Waipara wine region that can be visited either coming or going from Christchurch as well.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

Gosh only 3 days and so many possibilities. if you like the outdoors I would focus on 3 things ; Aoraki/Mt Cook , Arthur's Pass and Akaroa. You can probably do 2 out of 3 in the time available. Mt Cook is fantastic but 4 hours drive from Christchurch. And is really al depends on the weather - we get a lot of westerly rain here and if a big "westerly" is blowing you won't be able to see the mountains so not worth going down to Mt Cook. Arthur's Pass is a lot closer - 90 minutes drive so you can do it in a day from christchurch with time to go hiking. Akaroa the same. So 2 days before you arrive check the weather forecast. If it looks fine then head to Mt Cook. If it looks like rain head to Akaroa first then go to Arthur's Pass or Mt Cook if it is fine later. Arthur's Pass has a lot of walking tracks some of which you can do even if the weather is not good. Hammer springs also nice but not the "jewel in the crown" that is Mt Cook. hope this helps .......

New Zealand
Level Contributor
17 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

Wouldn't worry about the quakes. I think the earth's crust around here is exhausted. We get 4. something jolt's every once in a while but they don't do any damage.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

The Christchurch botanic gardens are lovely if you are into plants. Very different species, nice walks and restaurant.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

There are 15,000 earthquakes in New Zealand a year. It is part of what makes the scenery so spectacular. I have been on a 9 week trip and a 3 week trip and never felt any earthquakes. The vast majority of them are very, very minor. Don't plan your trip or accommodation around possible earthquakes because they are totally unpredictable. Just forget about them, which is easy to do when you are there, and enjoy your time in a beautiful country.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

I would disagree with that. I had friends go on a trip recently who were scared of quakes. I advised them not to go back to Christchurch early and told them about a few spots they could stop at (eg Akaroa) in the unlikely event they got around quicker than they thought they would. Well, they got around their loop quicker because of weather, road closures etc, and decided to go back to Christchurch early to look around. There was a decent tremor their first night there and they were so terrified they rebooked their flights home for the next day!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days based in Christchurch or Akaroa

I live in Christchurch.

The EQs now are hardly noticeable and all the risky buildings are down / out of bounds. You only have 2 full days. I would suggest stay in Chch (motel on Riccarton road / Papanui road). Spend some time looking around the city centre. It is reopened and there are a lot of quirky new enterprises to see.

I would hire a car for one day and go just out of the city to the port hills via Dyers pass. Take a walk from the sign of the kiwi along the crater rim walkway to get an idea of the local scenery, then go to Governors Bay (good pub for lunch) and then round to Lyttleton and back to Chch through the tunnel. If time permits go to Sumner beach.

The other attractions worth seeing are Antarctic centre, gondala to the top of the port hills if you dont want to hire a car.

Hamner and Akaroa are good to visit but I dont think you have enough time to see Chch and these towns as well. Post EQ Chch is unique and you need to give it time to walk around.