We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle on tyne UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch

Hi all, my wife and I are going to be driving from Christchurch to Queenstown and back in late February. Can anyone suggest a place to stop off at en route. Our travel guide suggests its a 6 hour journey and we don't fancy driving for this long twice in a week!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch

Hi,

First up, have a day or two in chch to rest well before driving. Many fatalities and accidents have occured when visitors come to our shores and drive on our roads before they have fully rested. rather than drive the same road twice, consider doing a south Island circuit where you drive say down the middle of the south island to QT, then for your return via Wanaka, Haast and up the West Coast and across to Christchurch via Arthur's Pass. Travelling NZ is as much about te journey as it is about the destination so please enjoy the travel, there are many small towns along the entire route with comfortable accomodation and friendly hosts. it is from these eperiences that your holiday memories wil be made of

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch

It is a lovely drive but I wouldn't do it twice in a week.

Why not fly to Queenstown, drive back?

you could

1 arrive Chch, fly to Queenstown

2/3/4/ explore

5 drive to Wanaka

6 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook - fabulous drive

7 drive to Chch

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch

Flying into Queenstown is a great option. You won't need a car there for the first day or two, which gives you plenty of time to get over jet lag. And you get two more half days of holiday to do stuff!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,391 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch

With only a week I agree to fly to Queenstown. The drive from there to Mount Cook is very scenic.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch

Can easily do a good loop - CHCH - Queenstown via Tekapo (stay there)

Queenstown - CHCH via Palmerston (stay Oamaru)

Edited: 11 December 2013, 23:55
newcastle on tyne UK
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch

Many I thanks for all the advice. I think we now have a plan!!!

Paul & Lesley

7. Re: Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:17