We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

My husband and I will be flying into Christchurch from the US. We will have about 1.5 days in Christchurch before we fly to Queenstown and begin exploring the South Island.

We will not have a car in Christchurch. Can someone recommend a place that is convenient to both the airport and central Christchurch?

I can't imagine we would be doing much sightseeing in Christchurch. Rather, we'd like to be able to recover from the flight by walking around and maybe hitting some shops and/or restaurants.

Thank you.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

As you won't have a car while here, I would suggest staying in the central city so you can walk to places like the Re:Start Mall, Museum, Botanic Gardens etc. City tours also leave from the Museum every day. There's a few hotels now open in the centre, like Rydges, Novotel, Ibis and Rendezvous which would all be walking distance to things.

Its only about 20-30 minutes drive between the city and airport, and easy to catch a taxi or shuttle from outside the terminal.

Sacramento CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

I would rec Greatstay B&B. When I stayed there they offered airport pick up, You would most likely have to take a taxi back to the airport. They are reasonably centrally located and are really nice people.

bucks uk
Level Contributor
87 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

City centre motel on Colombo street was an easy 15 min walk to centre, clean and comfortable apartment/ studio

4. Re: Good stopover lodging recommendation for Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19